[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I need to be drunk off my ass to find this captivating or...?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: The-Lime-Twig-John-Hawkes.jpg (15 KB, 220x337) Image search: [Google]
The-Lime-Twig-John-Hawkes.jpg
15 KB, 220x337
Do I need to be drunk off my ass to find this captivating or...?
>>
It takes a while.

I enjoyed the opening bits where Hencher is remembering living through the London Blitz.
The theft of the horse was meh.
I wasn't sure what the hell was going on during the murder in the steam bath.
And I enjoyed the bimbos.
All in all, enjoyed the atmosphere but felt it was a jumped up Graham Greene thriller where he left you guessing for art's sake as to what motives people had for what they did or who the hell the bimbos were
>>
>>7623168
>Graham Greene thriller where he left you guessing for art's sake as to what motives people had for what they did or who the hell the bimbos were

That's pretty accurate, but for myself it was the good thing about it; sort of deconstruction of thriller genre; somewhat in the way what Robbe-Grillet would have done; and I think what Flannery O'connor said about this book (and it's, I believe, on the back of the cover): that one is suffering it like a dream, or nightmare.

Also somewhat reminded me of lucid daydream/ nightmare-ish soundscapes of Nurse with wound etc. But I think I enjoyed The Cannibal a little bit more.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.