[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this final proof that Morrissey is an idiot? I imagine a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
Was this final proof that Morrissey is an idiot?

I imagine a lot of /lit/s readership is familiar with his dulcet tones.

As I get older I sort of outgrew him and realised that he is just a guy with a personality disorder writing anthems for the personality disordered in order to feel justified in their selfish self-pitying behaviours. What a bint.
>>
>>7622588
I always thought he was just writing them for a laugh. His lyrics are usually pretty funny.
>>
>>7622633
Started that way. Early on there was a hint of self deprecation, self awareness and irony. Then following the smiths and into his solo career he became lost in his own hype and lost any semblance of humour. Finally culminating with him thinking he could write a novel.
>>
Move aside Lawrence!

“‘Well hopefully it doesn’t get any worse than this, because my stomach just couldn’t take it…’ and their fiendishly loving wrestle began once again, rolling across the floor as hot-tempered enthusiasts of lustful joy as both adorers’ bodies did their sexual staccato heaving and barging into place, nothing forbidden, heartbeats uneven, the mind as naked as the body, weakened by exertion, only to shockingly lock with a halt at the astride legs of Sammy, young brother to Ezra, as he quietly stood with satisfied slyness watching the debauched display of sensuous pleasure at the sweetness of living seized by the initiative.”
>>
File: Moz__.jpg (111 KB, 938x714) Image search: [Google]
Moz__.jpg
111 KB, 938x714
>>7622588
All he needs is an editor.
Too much alliteration that serves no purpose, too much social commentary about something irrelevant where it doesn't need to be, too many unnecessary synonyms.

List of the Lost could have been really good, if he knew how to control himself.

The problem is dissimilar in 'autobiography' where the majority of the book is poignant, poetic and incredibly well written until the latter most quarter, where it falls completely on its own ass.
>>
>>7622830
yeah autobiog up to the smiths dissolving would've been GOAT

the childhood parts are brutal but also extremely funny
>>
>>7622870
It's sad. The book has the potential to be one of the best of the modern era, and it's squandered because he literally just lists dates and concerts for one quarter of it.

What's funny is that there's a sort of interview with Morrissey from the early 80's, and some guy is telling the host that the Joy Division book sucked because it literally just listed dates and tours.

He should have taken that as a warning.
>>
What a hot opinion OP. It's obvious you never liked the guy. Who hurt you OP?
>>
>>7622654
You're literally wrong, and it's obvious you haven't listened to his solo stuff at all. "You're the One for Me, Fatty", "At Amber", "Piccadilly Palare", "Sing Your Life" and many others are pretty funny and / or self-deprecating. You seem like an edgelord posting this for some weird motive I can't quite figure out.
>>
>>7622830
>All he needs is an editor.
>Too much alliteration that serves no purpose, too much social commentary about something irrelevant where it doesn't need to be, too many unnecessary synonyms.

My thoughts exactly. It just felt unedited.
From a narrative standpoint it was compelling enough and the supernatural elements in particular were refreshing. If he'd cleaned up the prose a little - and like you said, cut the completely irrelevant ranting - it would have been an enjoyably quaint novella; nothing too serious, but certainly not the trash people tout it as.

Also; I seriously don't understand critics who decry this book as sexist. The argument I hear is that the only female characters are wholly sex obsessed and one-dimensional. I'm convinced the people who say this didn't finish the book - because first of all, there are only really two main characters (Ezra and Eliza) and Eliza is a militant political socially engaged young woman while Ezra is the clueless sex crazy teen boy. Like, it's confounding how anyone can argue that she's only cares about sex, its impossible to interpret her character that way unless you read maybe the first ten pages and that excerpt about the barrel rolling boobies.
>>
>>7622588
>personality disorder

You don't really believe these exist, do you?
>>
>>7622949
You are a nice, reasonable poster, Anon.
>>
>>7622588
>personality disorder
Just because what's troubling you is the nature of his game?

I put it in recognizable words for you, OP. Stop hating a man because he wrote a bad book. He's not a bad human being and you need to do something better with your time and /lit's/.
>>
I'm from /mu/ guys, so I'm probably more of an authority than you guys.

Morrisey is fairly complex and patrician. He has really deep messages and themes and the same goes for his books that have really deep messages and themes.
>>
>>7622992
Not OP, but I'd really love to see more books from Morrissey. He has a lot of potential, but he just needs to channel it properly.
>>
>>7622994
>I'm from /mu/ guys, so I'm probably more of an authority than you guys.

Morrissey/The Smiths is a favourite of /lit/'s, and he's usually discussed here quite often.
You aren't more of an authority than anyone else here. Especially when all of the criticisms about the book are about how unedited it feels and how he puts unnecessary things in for the sake of it, resulting in a poorly structured book, not the themes.
>>
>>7622994
>He has really deep messages and themes

>Girlfriend in a coma
>I know
>I know
>It's serious
>lalalala
>>
>>7622994

Is this real life?
>>
>>7623008
>cherrypicking

I put my Smiths folder on shuffle and picked out some lyrics from the first song that popped up.

>So we go inside and we gravely read the stones
All those people all those lives
Where are they now?
With the loves and hates
And passions just like mine
They were born
And then they lived and then they died
Seems so unfair
And I want to cry

You say: "ere thrice the sun done salutation to the dawn"
And you claim these words as your own
But I've read well, and I've heard them said
A hundred times, maybe less, maybe more

If you must write prose and poems
The words you use should be your own
Don't plagiarise or take "on loans"
There's always someone, somewhere
With a big nose, who knows
And who trips you up and laughs
When you fall
Who'll trip you up and laugh
When you fall

You say: "ere long done do does did"
Words which could only be your own
And then you then produce the text
From whence was ripped some dizzy whore, 1804
>>
>>7622994
/mu/ isn't an authority on anything except fuckboyism
>>
>>7623017
Get out
>>
>>7623035
For what?
>>
>>7622969
As a word to descibe people who can't maintain relationships and have difficulty regulating their emotions then yes I do.

It's just a word to descibe people with a certain set of traits.
>>
I like List of the Lost, but then again "Some girls are bigger then others" is the only Smiths' song I ever cared about...
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.