[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For a complete philosophy noob, what are the best companion (either
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
For a complete philosophy noob, what are the best companion (either a book or online resource) to Plato's Complete Works? I just checked this out from the library, but I want to be able to get as much out of it as possible. Is it not necessary or do any of you guys have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
>>
*is the best companion

fuck me
>>
I'd like to know this too. I usually use the Wikipedia articles and SparkNotes for each dialogue just to make sure I didn't lose the Big Important Idea in a given dialogue, and I used to have this great .pdf a /lit/ user posted way back that gave historical context for each dialogue. Some great stuff in there, like how in the early dialogues, these aren't just random Athenians or random topics, they are eminent members of The Thirty Tyrants who met messy ends, either related to the dialogue's topic or to the interlocutor's failure to really grasp the point of a certain virtue. There is some eerie foreshadowing in there.
>>
Cambridge.
>>
>>7621879
plato is not that hard besides republic/laws/weird stuff try this and dive in.
>>
Plato
>>
>>7622087
People shouls start with the Apology of Socrates and maybe xenophon account
The other diouloges are also apologies but they always in refernce to it
>>
>>7622008
I've heard mixed reviews of this
>>
Copleston's history of philosophy
Bloomsbury companion to Plato
>>
>>7622087
I got a hearty chuckle while reading the symposium when they began discussing the intimate relationships of men to younger (perhaps adolescent) men.

>Greatest philosophers of all time fucked little boys.
>>
Do not get a companion to Plato. Especially on first reading.

>>7621978
"The big idea" can vary from interpreter to interpreter.
>>
>>7622087
That's a very shit reading order. Arbitrary.

>>7621879
Getting a companion is a bad idea.
>>
>>7622580
>Do not get a companion to Plato. Especially on first reading.

This. The whole point is that you engage with the Dialogue itself.
>>
>>7622597
And the entire point of reading the Dialogues is to induce negative knowledge, i.e. the knowledge of your own ignorance. Reading a commentary that will tell you what Plato meant or was trying to accomplish will produce the exact of opposite effect of what Plato is trying to achieve, namely, it will give you the impression that you have learned something positive when Plato is trying to wipe away your positive ideas and give you a deeper thirst for knowledge beyond what you can immediately grasp.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.