[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1513513513.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1513513513.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
Hey /lit/.
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good literature that attempts to explore the idea of a stand alone complex. I've been searching the internet for ages now but I can't seem to find anything other than GitS of course and a book written by Morioka, Masahiro, however it is out of print and only in Japanese.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
The Ghost in the Machine would be a good start.
>>
>>7613915
>>7613926
Thanks guys. Apparently my internet skills are not very good. Thanks to the first anon, I just stumbled on "simulacra" which has the same definition as stand alone complex. That lead me to Simulacres et Simulation which I believe has an english translation.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 541x302) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 541x302
While originally intended to "underscore the dilemmas and concerns that people would face if they relied too heavily on the new communications infrastructure,"[1] Stand Alone Complex (スタンド・アローン・コンプレックス Sutando Arōn Konpurekkusu?) eventually came to represent a phenomenon where unrelated, yet very similar actions of individuals create a seemingly concerted effort.

A Stand Alone Complex can be compared to the emergent copycat behavior that often occurs after incidents such as serial murders or terrorist attacks. An incident catches the public's attention and certain types of people "get on the bandwagon", so to speak. It is particularly apparent when the incident appears to be the result of well-known political or religious beliefs, but it can also occur in response to intense media attention. For example, a mere fire, no matter the number of deaths, is just a garden variety tragedy. However, if the right kind of people begin to believe it was arson, caused by deliberate action, the threat that more arsons will be committed increases dramatically.

What separates the Stand Alone Complex from normal copycat behavior is that there is no real originator of the copied action, but merely a rumor or an illusion that supposedly performed the copied action. There may be real people who are labeled as the originator, but in reality, no one started the original behavior. And in Stand Alone Complex, the facade just has to exist in the minds of the public. In other words, a potential copycat just has to believe the copied behavior happened from an originator - when it really did not. The result is an epidemic of copied behavior having a net effect of purpose. One could say that the Stand Alone Complex is mass hysteria over nothing - yet causing an overall change in social structure.

This is not unlike the concepts of memes (refer to the conversation between the major and the Puppet Master in the manga) and second-order simulacra. It also has ties to social theory, as illustrated in the work of Frederic Jameson and Masachi Osawa. The Slender Man phenomenon, in which the fictitious concept of a supernatural murderer went viral and has allegedly inspired real attacks, may be seen as an example of the Stand Alone Complex.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_Ghost_in_the_Shell#Stand_Alone_Complex

It's a concept based on Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation. This article also mentions Fredric Jameson and Masachi Osawa
>>
Interesting fact: The plot of the 2nd season is based around the character and work of Yukio Mishima, but because of copyright issues names were changed
>>
>>7613964
Only sun and steel as far as i can see.
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 640x640
This may sound strange, but I loved this show and I would compare it to Matlock, because there is the same tension between the inner and outer world.

Everyone is a theorist and intellectual, but they are constantly dealing with people who are not possessed of the same circumspection. So they are theorizing about the loose wheels in society. I think that this would be like Star Trek if it was done right.

https://youtu.be/kN50ENE_HUU
>>
>>7613907
Im sure that there was a story by Phillip K. Dick pretty similar to Stand Alone Complex, but i cant remember which one.
>>
Dawkins, the original mememeister.
>>
>>7614177
Pretty sure its this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simulacra
>>
>>7614239
Ah probably this one! i was thinking about minority report but that is more like Psycho Pass.
>>
>>7613939
When it was starting up at the beginning, the whole chanology thing felt like it.
>>
>In that Empire, the Art of Cartography attained such Perfection that the map of a single Province occupied the entirety of a City, and the map of the Empire, the entirety of a Province. In time, those Unconscionable Maps no longer satisfied, and the Cartographers Guilds struck a Map of the Empire whose size was that of the Empire, and which coincided point for point with it. The following Generations, who were not so fond of the Study of Cartography as their Forebears had been, saw that that vast map was Useless, and not without some Pitilessness was it, that they delivered it up to the Inclemencies of Sun and Winters. In the Deserts of the West, still today, there are Tattered Ruins of that Map, inhabited by Animals and Beggars; in all the Land there is no other Relic of the Disciplines of Geography.

George Luis Borges
>>
>>7613907
>book written by Morioka, Masahiro, however it is out of print and only in Japanese.

Which one?

Also
>not knowing Japanese
>>
>>7613982
It draws heavily upon the revolutioanry nationalism in all his work (significantly Patriotism, Temple of the Golden Pavillion and Runaway Horses), it also mentions the use of Noh theatre which Mishima also wrote
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.