[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's the best translator of the Greek tragedies? Is Lattimore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: tragedy.jpg (39 KB, 256x321) Image search: [Google]
tragedy.jpg
39 KB, 256x321
Who's the best translator of the Greek tragedies? Is Lattimore as good with them as he is with Homer?
>>
Lattimore didn't translate all the tragedies in his U of Chicago project, in fact, he only translated a few plays with Grene, while including other modern translations for the rest; he served as a chief editor with Grene on all of them during it's commission.

They're pretty great and is the best corpus translation out there in English. There's a bunch of older translations of some plays which are more elegiac in style though. Keep in-mind UoC probably made him keep the style more simplistic, as the whole concept of translating all of the plays was pretty new at it's time seeing some (like of them weren't considered interesting enough to bother translating, and that the whole goal of it was to do a modern / updated translation for then- classical and drama students and other readers to relate to while being published and consistently editted by the same team to make for easy commercial access.
>>
>Not reading them in greek
Come on dude
>>
I'm afraid there is no Rodney Merrill or Richard Lattimore of Greek tragedy. Lattimore's translations are pretty good, but no as good as his Homer, and I really, really wish Rodney Merrill would do some tragedy translations.

They're still worth reading, very fine literature, but if you compare them to the original Greek, all translations of tragedy fall very short. The same goes for the Greek poets. Some philosophers also just don't have translations nearly as good as the originals, such as Heraclitus and Paremenides. I think top notch translation could be done for all these, they just haven't been done yet.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.