[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
thoughts?
>>
Opinions?
>>
>>7601751
i really like it but i'm german an did read it in it's original german version and i guess there has been quite a lot lost in translation.

it's basically a 500 page love-letter to literature in a weird-funny fanatsy-world, a little like pratchett but better, with more effort, a little deeper. also it's incredibly well written in regards of immersion, you really really dive into this world of literature. there are also a lot of remarks to classical literature and writing and so on, so... yeah, good read and sadly very underrated in the us to my opinion.
>>
>>7601759
Try putting that in the OP next time, anon.
I did like your analysis though.
>>
>>7601764
did you read it though? maybe you can tell me why it's that underrated in the us. is it because the author is incredibly reclusive and you need to market a book with a face in the us or is it just bad luck and the sheer amount of competition?
>>
>>7601759
Walter Moers seems to be underrated everywhere, but the man's clearly a mad genius. This and the captain bluebear cycle is his best work though.
>>
>>7601770
People don't often read shit outside bestsellers or classics, that's about it.
>>
Loved it, as well as Rumo and Captain Bluebear.
>>7601759
Have you read it in English also?
Can't help but think how great an animated film of tCoDB would be...
>>
>>7601785
i actually did cause i'm a fan of john green due to his vlogbrothers-stuff. his books are nice but nothing i'd fangirl over. anyway, when he was in berlin i wanted to give this to him in english so i got the english edition but he was there only for a short time and left without me having a chace to give it to him. so i still have the english version and did read it by now.

the translation is actually really good since some charcters refer to authers pupils in german schools have been tortured with and are exchanged to other characters english speakers might actually know. the character representing shakespear just has a brief appearance in one line in the german version but is exchanged with another charcter that has a little more detail. afaik moers did work with the translator on those details quite a lot wich is why it's been published like 2 years after it's original german in the us.

also the translations of the poems work very well and manage to get the tone and the meaning across propperly.
>>
Read all of Moers' books when I was a kid, loved them. I should really reread them because I feel you can get more from them if you're an adult
>>
>>7601804
yes. go ahead. also, i think he published some more since you've been a kid
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.