[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Quentin Tarantino is in a panel discussion with several
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: quentin tarantino roundtable.jpg (495 KB, 1251x834) Image search: [Google]
quentin tarantino roundtable.jpg
495 KB, 1251x834
>Quentin Tarantino is in a panel discussion with several other directors
>Quentin Tarantino is asked what he would do if he quit making movies
>his answer is to write/direct plays and write novels
>Ridley Scott says it's the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ7qKKQrSBY

30:48

Is he right?
>>
No, he's not, because in directing plays he would be tangibly illustrating his thoughts whereas in the novel, he would need to express them; however, from what I've read of some of his screenplays, he's a lot better than other screenwriters out there; add to this the caveat that quantum tarantula is a huge beta cuckold indeed, and I do not claim contradictory.
>>
I don't think he is right. When you write a novel, you write it in prose, and then it isn't perform. The reader has to read it in a book and imagine the events himself. When you direct a play, you write the play, and then it's performed, and lots of people take it in at once. Moreover, a movie is different from a play in that the performance isn't right there in front of you but shot on film (or digitallly) and then reproduced en masse to be shown on screens throughout the world. So they're all different mediums, in my humble opinion. Hope this helps.
>>
>>7586054

I think he'll be a good playwright/director, and I think the theatre could use someone like Tarantino to come in and shake things up a bit there, much like Matt and Trey did with Book of Mormon.

I'm not sure his transition to novels will be as good. Yes, his screenplays are more descriptive than most, but a lot of it is still describing what he wants to shoot and what the camera will see, which he uses as motivation for some of his description.

We'll see, but I like Tarantino, always have, and I think he has potential if he really ends up choosing to go this route. The only thing I do hope if he does decide to do this, is he actually takes a shot at fiction (as in a book), and doesn't decide at the last minute to go the graphic novel route - which I can also see him doing.
>>
Tarantino sucks and filmmaking is the lowest possible art from.
>>
>>7586140
> filmmaking is the lowest possible art from.
iT'S LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN ART.

and everybody knows there's nothing more mind-numbing than tv actual, (anime included plebs)
>>
>all middle aged (or older) white men

>tarantino, tom hooper, and david o russell once again
>>
>>7586140
if you read enough even literature becomes pleb
talk to you again in a couple of years
>>
He'd probably make shitty western manga to be honest
>>
File: Messages Image(826931562).png (506 KB, 649x488) Image search: [Google]
Messages Image(826931562).png
506 KB, 649x488
>>7586275
>>
>>7586054

> not a single director at that table has made a good movie or has any talent
>>
>>7586301
ridley scott
>>
>>7586310

my comment stands
>>
>>7586301
>no paul clipson
>>
>>7586312
pleb
>>
>>7586312
get a load of this faggot
>>
>>7586310
washed up hack. his only good film was blade runner.
>>
I can't speak to that statement specifically, but having listened to his DVD commentaries, I can tell you Sir Ridley is a bit of a dunce.
>>
>>7586301
Danny Boyle is great fuck off
Sunshine is one of my favorite sci fi movies
>>
>>7586312
Alien and Blade Runner.

That's it.

So you're mostly right.
>>
Why can a filmmaker be a novelist but a novelist can't be a filmmaker, or at least a sucessful screenwriter?
>>
>>7586927
>Alien and Blade Runner.
the direction behind those movies aren't even what makes them great.
>>
>>7586950

Well Norman Mailer had his shot and he ended up with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KyBdPeKHg
>>
>>7586968

POETRY
>>
>>7586090
Good post.
>>
>>7586950
kubrick said making a film is "like trying to write 'War and Peace' in a bumper car in an amusement park". so i guess it follows that if you can make a film, writing a novel would be a cakewalk comparatively.
>>
>>7587005
kubrick couldn't even make one good movie tho :6)
>>
>>7587011
wow rude
>>
>>7587005
>a bunch of writers are frustate filmmakers
>writer that don't write
>writing a novel is cakewalk
>/lit/
You know that this is true.
>>
>>7586054
I'm so tired of people trying to sound clever like this

>ackschualley, those things r same

Fucking no. They're different things. That's why we have different words for them.
>>
i wonder if tarantino would be cool with someone else adapting his novels into a movie, or if he's just going to get sucked into making them himself when the time comes
>>
>>7587032
If you was a TV screenwriter you'd be writing a 500 pages lenght novel a year.
>>
>>7586109
I think I'd be much more interested in his first novel than his first play. I feel like it could either be something good where you can feel it's actually Tarantino or it's going to become some hackneyed mediocre mess.
>and doesn't decide at the last minute to go the graphic novel route
Oh please no.
>>
>>7587046
>if you were
>>
>>7587058
he also talked about wanting to write film criticism/film textbooks, which i'd be really interested to read
>>
>>7587067
That I would be interested in as well.
>>
>>7587005
>Kubrick knows how hard it was to write war and peace

pretentious as f u c k
>>
File: 1415928693809.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1415928693809.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
>>7587028
Not me, I'm a frustrated anime director.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.