[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good libraries and bookstores
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: SF.jpg (3 MB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
SF.jpg
3 MB, 2400x1600
ITT We request and give tips on excellent bookstores and libraries on given cities.
I'll start, San Francisco
>>
File: cityhall_sevenine.jpg (142 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
cityhall_sevenine.jpg
142 KB, 640x428
>>7559115
Is San Francisco a /lit/ city?

Requesting Toronto, specially Downtown
Furthermore is Toronto a /lit/ city?
>>
For San Diego, I can only recommend Adam's Avenue Books (I suspect somebody here has gone there before, for reasons) and DG Wills, down Torrey Pines from UCSD. The university bookstores, btw, are good sources for scholarly readings, especially at the end of the quarter when everyone's desperate to unload their used books. Aside from that, UCSD has a respectably-sized and affordable book sale on Library Walk at the beginning and end of the school year. For anyone looking for a good Spanish-language selection, it's pretty dry north, but Tijuana is only a stone-throw away, and you need only get as far south as the Plaza de Rosario to find some good book stands (romantically frequented by the chubby prostitutes on display (the less said about these, the better) in the alleys and avenues).

>>7559115
I've never stayed in Frisco long enough to get a feel for it's urban literacy, although I am curious in case I ever end up staying for longer than an hour.
>>
Mexico city
>send help please
>>
File: Emmanuel College Library.jpg (121 KB, 980x350) Image search: [Google]
Emmanuel College Library.jpg
121 KB, 980x350
>>7559156
>For San Diego, I can only recommend Adam's Avenue Books
I agree with that
>>7559126
Doesn't UofT has some nice libraries and all? I mean look at pic related
>>
>>7559115

Anyone in Chicago? My favorite is Myopic, but I pretty much only buy used nowadays.
>>
>>7559115
Browser Books, 2195 Fillmore St (great phil and fiction selection, worth the trip away from City Lights)
Kinokuniya Bookstore in the mall in Japantown if you want light novels etc
>>
Anyone able to give some book store recs here in Eire?
Specifically, Men OF ULSTER
>>
>>7559221
The Presidio branch of the library is also comfy as fuck.
>>
Browser's Uncommon Books, Court d'Alene Idaho. Amazing selection, run by a gnome.

Backstreet Books, Chiang Mai. Thailand. Best bookstore I've ever been to.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 720x537) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 720x537
>>7559115
Boston/Cambridge
Raven Used Books in Harvard Square for a diverse and surprising selection of used titles at low prices.

Harvard Bookstore: All new but it's a store for people who actually read a ton. Regularly hosts high-profile authors. What we all wish our local Books-A-Million were like.

Trident, Newburry St: A more normie bookstore than the ones in Harvard, but great food and drinks and readings with an emphasis on local authors.

Chicago >>7559184
UChicago Coop, Hyde Park: Dankest bookstore of all time. Underground labyrinth of books that's easy to get legitimately lost in. Not even the hint of a coffee shop, and good prices from a selection meant to encompass every interest at the world's most autistic university. If you're from Chicago this probably isn't news though. There are a few other good ones in Hyde Park whose names escape me.

Tourist mode: The Strand, Manhattan
Often crowded, but the staff are some of the most helpful anywhere, and the used book selection turns over so rapidly that you could productively shop there weekly if not more often.

>>7559177
>Mexico City
Don't remember the names, but there are a few around Plaza Hidalgo in Coyoacan. The best one was a huge garage that someone still parks their jeep in the corner of. It's south of Jardin Centenario on the street that runs down the western edge of Jardin Centenario.

Big picture though, Mexico is disgustingly anti-intellectual.
>>
>>7559302
Yeah i know, is so fucking hard to find books that aren't self help and i have heard that is even worse in other parts of mexico, will check them out, thanks.
>>
Where can I go in Philly that isn't the giant Barnes and Noble?
>>
>>7559126
A good wallk on Bloor St. and some nice gems can be found. Sorry I can't give names though, I'd also like to know
>>
Detroit

John K. King Books

Not necessarily cheap, but it's a huge place and has a great atmosphere
>>
>>7559115
FUCK YOU. I LIVE IN SPAIN.
>>
>>7559324
Care to explain why your country hates books and thinking so much? It really freaked me out when I lived there for six months.
>>
>>7559349
go to cataluna on st george's day and stand on la rambla with dozens of roses. free books from desperate bitches all day long
>>
>>7559115

When I looked at this image, the Full House song immediately started playing in my head.
>>
>>7559374
where did you lived? I dont think that i can give you a good answer, but most books here are really expensive because they are printed in small quantity because nobody buy them and the cycle repeats, but it runs deeper than that i think, for example when i was in the elementary/high school we where never assigned ANYTHING to read, except some shitty self help pseudo catholic novels by Carlos Cauhutemoc Sanchez, and that is, that tends to be most of the population knowledge of books, and of course that old joke that a lot of people take seriously "Books are sacred, don't touch them".

Its sad, really.
>>
>>7559427
I lived in Coyoacan. I got over a lot of the differences between Mexico and the states, but it was hard to deal with even educated people seeming provincial.
>>
>>7559454
And coyoacan is considered one of the "educated" places in the DF, but yeah most people here don't have interested in anything that is not instant self gratification.
>>
>>7559427
You know you can download books from the intertubes, right? Get with the twentieth century. Fucking third worlders. The internet wasn't invented for you to share duckface pics over fecesbook.
>>
Northern Virginia/DC, anyone?

I know there are some cool places, but I don't know them, and end up just using amazon.
>>
London, England anyone? Used to have a sweet little shop around the corner, but it closed down.
>>
>>7559488
>Fucking third worlders.
come on now
>>
>>7559333
Book Trader a block up from Market Street on 2nd street. I can't say how good their English lit selection is but they have a pretty good French language selection (as good as one can expect) which is nice to have available and what I go there for.
>>
>>7559115

I'm in Northern Virginia. Obviously Library of Congress for libraries, I use my Uni library at UMD so I forget what the chain libraries are like around my area.

Used book store: Reston's Used Book Shop has a ton of material, I got a 1300 complete works of Shakespeare for fifty cents in hardcover a few weeks ago. Small but loaded.
>>
>>7559498

hello, I didn't see your post. Here's mine:

>>7560783

Also there's a few good little ones in DC, and two in Manassas, though I've been too lazy to check the former ones in Manassas out yet.
>>
>>7560783
>1300 complete works of Shakespeare for fifty cents in hardcover
Wow that's nice
>>
File: 14523058257101979817670.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
14523058257101979817670.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7560820

Well to be fair there's a reason for the price
>>
File: 1452305910532-1590918631.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1452305910532-1590918631.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7560826

Immaculate on the inside at least
>>
>>7559346
I drive past it every time I go downtown I'm always more and more tempted to go in. What's the atmosphere like?
>>
>>7560830
That's what matters!
And to be honest I like rough looking books. I don't know, I like how it feels. Even when pages are yellow-ish on the borders due to oldness, I like it.
Great find, enjoy your reading
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.