[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did you guys think of Moore's prose in this excerp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: angry_moore.jpg (116 KB, 720x482) Image search: [Google]
angry_moore.jpg
116 KB, 720x482
What did you guys think of Moore's prose in this excerpt of his new novel?

http://www.goshlondon.com/2016/01/jerusalem-by-alan-moore-exclusive-first-look/
>>
>>7578107

blog spam.

So here it is for those of you who don't want to visit that site:

>In the half a square mile of decay and demolition that was England’s Saxon capital, eternity is loitering between the firetrap tower blocks. Embedded in the grubby amber of the district’s narrative among its saints, kings, prostitutes and derelicts a different kind of human time is happening, a soiled simultaneity that does not differentiate between the petrol-coloured puddles and the fractured dreams of those who navigate them. Fiends last mentioned in the Book of Tobit wait in urine-scented stairwells, the delinquent spectres of unlucky children undermine a century with tunnels, and in upstairs parlours labourers with golden blood reduce fate to a snooker tournament.

>Disappeared lanes yield their own voices, built from lost words and forgotten dialect, to speak their broken legends and recount their startling genealogies, family histories of shame and madness and the marvellous. There is a conversation in the thunderstruck dome of St. Paul’s cathedral, childbirth on the cobblestones of Lambeth Walk, an estranged couple sitting all night on the cold steps of a Gothic church-front, and an infant choking on a cough drop for eleven chapters. An art exhibition is in preparation, and above the world a naked old man and a beautiful dead baby race along the Attics of the Breath towards the heat death of the universe.

>An opulent mythology for those without a pot to piss in, through the labyrinthine streets and pages of Jerusalem tread ghosts that sing of wealth and poverty; of Africa, and hymns, and our threadbare millennium. They discuss English as a visionary language from John Bunyan to James Joyce, hold forth on the illusion of mortality post-Einstein, and insist upon the meanest slum as Blake’s eternal holy city. Fierce in its imagining and stupefying in its scope, this is the tale of everything, told from a vanished gutter.
>>
>>7578132
is this real?
feels like an old guy going as hard as he can to prove himself when he should have moved past that so many long years ago
>>
>>7578132
Sounds dope af. Is Moore a good writer? I'd hate to buy this and then it turns out to be YA or something.
>>
>>7579197
>File: angry_moore.jpg (116 KB, 720x482)

He's an interesting case study: so talented with genre -trash -metafiction but so clueless about prose. The imbalance was confusing and he convinced himself he was a shaman-wizard. It almost makes sense if you think in terms of his POV.
>>
>>7579197
He writes good comics but has the political mindset of a 19 year old Anti-Fa.
>>
>>7578132

tried to read it 3 times and kept glazing over. finally I powered through my 4th time.

Its that kind of writing where I cant point out anything wrong, and I don't even feel its boring, but my mind just wanders off it after a couple sentences.

I think this is symptomatic of writers you don't trust to have a payoff.
>>
>>7579249

I did the same thing. I kept wanting to rip it to shreds but it's not technically bad. It's just not good. Somebody has to tell him, "Hey bud, maybe we should rethink this. Do a bit of a rewrite, here?" I mean, someone in his life has to be seeing purple, right?
>>
>>7578132
bretty good, would read
>>
overwritten
>>
>>7579210
Moore is the one of the last people I'd expect to write YA
>>
very tryhard, too abstract. would get about a C in a college course, if the professor liked him as a student and "knew he had potential".
>>
>>7578107
>>7578132
His prose makes much more sense if you've heard him speak. You have to do something you people would only do with authors you trust (or more likely know you are supposed to consider good), and that is reading it slowly. By reading it like you would anything posted here, you are putting your parsing process at odds with effort it isn't prepared for. And at the juncture between "interesting" and "pretentious", this coming from a non-approved source is always going to make you take a right turn.

That said, some sentences sound rather abrupt in this. Comma patterns I'm not used to, at least. From what I've seen in Voice of the Fire his prose is certainly never transparent, but hopefully the book catches its own rhythm.
>>
>>7579500
>Voice of the Fire
I haven't read this since I was underageb& but I remember enjoying the first story with Hob and the retard kid, then putting the book down halfway through the 2nd story.
>>
>>7578132
ghosts aren't "an opulent mythology"
I'll be reading it whenever it comes out anyway, occasional bits of plebbish grammar notwithstanding.
>>
>>7578132
Are these from the book or is this just a blurb. If they're from the book, then it's not something I would read.
>>
>>7580092
It is (and obviously) a blurb
>>
>tfw you don't live in the universe where Alan Moore wrote sandman instead of Neil Gaiman

Hold me bros
>>
>>7579210

He's literally among the best living writers, but the novel format is new to him.
>>
Keep in mind that he's 90 years old and has an inferiority complex because he made his name in a medium intended for the illiterate.
>>
>>7580325
underrated post
>>
>>7580180
OP and a lot of people ITT think it's an excerpt, so...
>>
>>7580291
I doubt he's even in top ten living British writers
>>
>>7579500
>His prose makes much more sense if you've heard him speak
this, I think it could even be seen as a strenght but it demands that you hive him a chance and/or hear him read some of his material. If anything there is some decent rhythm if you assume it's supposed to be like that.
>>
>>7580291
He has a couple, if anything he's been writing more novels than comics.
>>
>>7580180
>implying we're all up to date on an over the hill, genre fiction hack
>>
>>7580291
It isn't.
>Voice of the Fire
>>
>>7580413
These couple novels he's written don't look like genre fiction, though that's not to say I'm interested in reading them.
>>
>urine-scented stairwells

Stopped reading there. Cliched as fuck.
>>
>>7580640
I'll be sure to convey your remark to the next urine-scented stairwell I come across
>>
>>7579235
sure
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.