[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Post underrated works that's never discussed on /l
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
ITT: Post underrated works that's never discussed on /lit/.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_Montanus
>>
> and goes on to "prove" a number of absurdities, such as relying on argument from ignorance to prove that his mother is a rock.

I'm sold fåm.
>>
PEER. Jeppe's right there, certainly. That was a little foolish. It is just as if I were to talk Greek to the bailiff, to show him that I understood the language.

JEPPE. Do you know Greek, Peer?

PEER. Why, twenty years ago I could repeat the whole Litany in
Greek, standing on one foot. I still remember that the last word was
"Amen."
JEPPE. Oh, Peer, it will be splendid, when my son comes back, to get you two together!

Pretty good so far.
>>
This is almost like /lit/

JACOB. Oh, he looks mighty learned. Rasmus Nielsen, who drove him, swears that he did nothing all the way but dispute with himself in Greek and Elamite; and sometimes with so much zeal that he struck Rasmus Nielsen in the back of the neck three or four times, with his clenched fist, shouting all the while, "Probe the Major! Probe the Major!" I suppose he must have had a dispute with a major before he started out. Part of the way he sat still and stared at the moon and the stars with such a rapt expression that he fell off the wagon three times and nearly broke his neck from sheer learning. Rasmus Nielsen laughed at that, and said to himself, "Rasmus Berg may be a wise man in the heavens, but he is a fool on earth."
>>
>>7561762
Erasmus literally is /lit/ made flesh.
>>
>>7561764
(He strikes a match, lights his pipe, and puts the bowl of his pipe through a hole he has made in his hat.) That's what they call smoking studentikos—it's a pretty good invention for any one who wants to write and smoke at the same time. (Sits down and begins to read.)

>What's the most patrician way to read?
>What cigarettes are most literary?
>You plebs don't even write and drink
etc., threads like these remind me of this. I wonder if this guy is going to pull the >translations meme on deacon any time now.

Are the other plays by this guy any good?
>>
Saw this a couple of months back and it was pretty good. Danish/Scandinavian literature really needs to be discussed more.
>>
MONTANUS. Well, I can't help that. When any one attacks philosophy, he attacks my honor. I am fond of Mademoiselle Lisbed, but my Metaphysica and my Logica have priority.

NILLE. Oh, my dear son, what did I hear? Are you engaged to two other girls in Copenhagen? That will be a bad business in the matrimonial courts.
>>
>>7561773
Jeppe på Bjerget is nice too.
>>
Finished reading this, I suppose the lieutenant was the only person with any sort of reason within the entirety of the play; either you had learned men who were as foolish as you can get or uneducated peasants who were the same. I guess it show that learning doesn't make one more intelligent by iitself. People who make threads about as to whether they should read the entire Western canon to understand probably fit in this canon.
>>
>>7561876
It shows. Itself, not iitself. Category, not canon at the end.

Fixed some mistakes.
>>
>>7561787
>Holberg
>danish

Triggered tbqh
>>
>>7562041
Bergenser detected
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.