[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What kind of person is it who clamours for this meaningless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: johnno.jpg (73 KB, 553x553) Image search: [Google]
johnno.jpg
73 KB, 553x553
>What kind of person is it who clamours for this meaningless desideratum, equality? Certainly not the beautiful person, because to him equality, if it could be achieved, would result in bringing him down to the common level. Neither can it be the person specially gifted in any of the arts and sciences; for, again, equality, if it could by some miracle be wrought, would amount to wiping out the advantage of such special gifts. The self-reliant, the strong, the skilful, the able and the desirable, in all walks of life, are never stirred by this cry for equality; because they look down from their eminence, and cannot therefore conceive that levelling could possibly prove an advantage.

>It must therefore be the undesirable, the unskilful, the incompetent, the ugly, the ungifted, in all walks of life, the incapable of all classes, who want equality. And they want it because, looking up from their position of chafing mediocrity and ungainliness, and beholding their more gifted brethren, they realise that equality must redound to their benefit. A moment's reflection would tell them that it is an impossible ideal; their mortified vanity, however, is stronger than their reason, and urges them to believe in it, ridiculous as it may be.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>7507074
I had forgotten about how great Ludovici is
>>
>>7507074
Did he actually say this?

He doesn't seem to understand what is meant by "equality." He thinks (childishly) that people who want equality want it in all aspects of life, they want it absolutely, they want it without question.

In reality, it's just people (women, racial, ethnic and religious minorities, sexual minorities, peasants and the working poor), who want equal treatment and equal opportunity.

No one is trying to cut apart the face of a pretty woman to make her average looking. No one is trying to break the legs of a professional athlete.

John Green has failed once again to understand and now he has unwittingly sided with a fascist understanding of the world.
>>
>>7507112
where to even begin
>>
>>7507100
>>7507112
>>
lmao what a meandering way to say "the shitters only want equality to uplift themselves"
>>
>>7507112

Are you retarded, son?
>>
>>7507074
so he's basically saying big fuck you to all of those who are inferior/unlucky/handicapped in some way?
>>
>>7507116
What? The only thing I can think of that shows people want absolute equality is skinny shaming which is a very niche problem.
>>
>>7507112
>>7508542
there has been a constant assault on beauty standards though
people aren't trying to literally maim beautiful people but they're trying to redefine beauty to include everyone (and in the process destroy beauty)
all he's really saying is that equality is not just the ascension of the lower classes, but necessarily the curtailing of excess and excellence
>>
>>7509768

I don't agree with the tumblrina perspective but don't pretty people get paid more and promoted more often, don't they? So they could spin it as a workplace fairness issue.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.