[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the gain of study philosophy /lit/? More specifically,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1396797890794.jpg (80 KB, 790x639) Image search: [Google]
1396797890794.jpg
80 KB, 790x639
What is the gain of study philosophy /lit/?
More specifically, what is the gain of studying specific philosophers?
>>
brain get smart
>>
i love this piece of art.https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_Vuvl2NMe3OWFBXFUb6Dt_tKOpbMOcfQL7YgOiKMHZo8pIdDnPQa3scOqGAhY_lXv_CF2A72_DKWHDOLSd5got4GYiuyREftYfUypi0DQDnVy-410O9PsWl-241Ez9ak5a5mRIWtAgkmogFduVRpH248iretM1OC6aIV2oODfk0J9iKv0G7uPXx4yFbBep6N8-_2Q90w1YuX4fAGFZlZQCpADtLHlB-8Zc54s34Os-GqQMW8wDh-iaS4v9KtbAkRJEfaNHhoT-tVaJQyFG4rxsAOzPnedHg&th=,l2awy24nZCQiyzW2DFP3oxQUfHPwAAAALKAAAAAb-ABuq95oZgpdpz0SO9VHfTZrNeare82JXzhZ-BIT3VjnAdX3DTOJhBLiroH5_TzIRVNT7RuxRko3IWnEae-evxO9PNiEU8AdhWM9yHiG3JS-RXaAC2qunM4L9cKj0bPfaTWR5zTmvgdQt_Tasi3yA7LYALWmuN8GXuh1yffPUksD8yYK18jfccU09-EKmHC5ZbNR05Vfvokh3otzZ3xhpVE466EIXTAr8DopWYCjtwRLWHKq-IlD8qoJXGYlsaf23ZCL9LGIEGvCG7qKqtMyGrt8OK7MEKtayYXCy-a9raIPgn9TjkoZDbJQNzzpghD8EMtUprl5hkUZCVRgwhc5MbjkuT_qa9wRlqBhYwR24RYY-MJEDDjTXml5eVzWCyg9Get4CnpExUR6
>>
>>7507734
Is this a meme?
>>
Buuuuuuuuump
>>
>>7507730
>What is the gain of study philosophy /lit/?
knowing more about philosophy then you did before study

>More specifically, what is the gain of studying specific philosophers?
knowing more about specific philosophers then you did before study
>>
>>7507730
Epistemology offers a clearer view on the world.
>>
>>7507730
From an academic standpoint it is a great way to improve your methodological skills and it will affect the work you end up doing + help you critique your colleagues.
It's also a great subject for general reasoning. Not that you become smarter just by reading philosophy, but philosophy students generally do better on LSAT from what I've heard. So you might actually benefit from it.
>>
>>7507730
>what is the gain of studying

mein gott *sniff* pure ideology
>>
>>7507730
>studying philosophy for gain
>not because you feel impelled to do it
fag
>>
Welp, there are a few practical applications: politics and aesthetics most directly, and ethics sometimes. In general, it improves your ability to think. There's not much intrinsic value though. Philosophy is just a very high-minded game.

In the past it was valuable because there was a lot we couldn't explain, but since like, i don't know, Descartes probably, its value has been almost totally insular.

It's my personal opinion that despite this, philosophy will become more important in the future as computers reach the point of being more capable of doing work in STEM than humans are. Once that happens, philosophy will be there to keep us entertained. That's very avant-garde and very very uncertain, though
>>
1. Philosophers throw sick keggers
2. Philosophers never need to answer why? XD
3. Philosophy is easy, you can sleep in class lol
4. Philosophy can be used to pick up chicks, just throw them some of the old To be or not to be haha! classic
5. Philosophy is great for padding your transcripts with an easy A
6. You can claim work expenses on all kinds of holidays and gifts to yourself if you tick existential crisis in the philosopher's only section of your tax return
7. Nobody can ever tell you 'No' or 'That's Wrong!' because in Philosophy every answer is correct, even no answer
8. You can beat religious people in arguments
9. You can beat atheists in arguments
10. You can beat yourself in arguments
11. You can sell stones on ebay for an inflated price, just any you pick up off the ground, yes people will buy them
and finally

11. Be cause.
>>
>>7507909
Never said it was purely for gain, I was just wondering what the benefits are.
>>
You study it because it's interesting.
>>
Easier to understand social change by seeing schools of thought represented in the cultural zeitgeist
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.