[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Write a review of the last book you read.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: harold bloom.jpg (101 KB, 1058x1464) Image search: [Google]
harold bloom.jpg
101 KB, 1058x1464
Write a review of the last book you read.
>>
Endless boring conversations - The Idiot.
>>
Japanese Tales of Mystery and Imagination
by Edogawa Rampo

This small collection of stories suffers from the style of bad Japanese translation that has almost become a genre unto itself, though the oddness of the awkward pose perhaps carries its own charms.

The stories vary from ingenious to inane, but just which is which is often indeterminate, even within a particular story. One wonders for example if the extra twist at the end of "The Human Chair" -- a twist repeated enough in this collection to be somewhat of a hallmark -- is meant to truly be of relief to the audience or subtly establish new ambiguities, the latter a striking technique to be sure. Most of the time, the stories are too whimsical to be truly mysterious or disturbing but Rampo has to be commended on his creativity and willingness to experiment, like a philosopher, by pushing familiar settings to absurd limits.

Anonymous <current year>
>>
>>7496367
>hey guys
>write your personal thoughts and experiences about books i never read so I can stealnthem and post on lit like they were my own
>o-okay OP
Fug off
>>
>>7496421
What the fug
>>
Armor - John Steakley

This science fiction novel deals with unresolved post traumatic stress. It should be treated as a character study on violence and its psychological effects. I found it difficult to relate to any of the characters because I am not an alcoholic veteran.

Ideas presented here are suitable for adolescents ages 15 and up. Complementary reading would include Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.
>>
>>7496372

you didn't laugh when Lebedev (think that was his name) shouted about orphaned children and tried to crawl into the fireplace, shouting "Order me into the fire, Nastasya!"

?????
>>
It was dece.

Is that what kids say these days, "dece"?
>>
>>7496367
Frankenstein

Dude Byronic hero, lmao. Wretches and horror elements, lmao. Lighting and various landscapes, lmao.
>>
"Darkness at Noon," by Arthur Koestler is a interesting because it is a criticism of communism written from the perspective of a communist: not of someone who starts a communist, but slowly sees the errors and lies of communism, but rather of a well-educated and intelligent communist who clearly understands everything about communism and understands and believes the arguments communism presents. He does not criticize Marxism, as he reasonably might, for being based on unsound economic and sociological principles, rather it is a criticism that attacks the foundations that underlie Marxism and systems which claim to be better alternatives to Marxism; it attacks the assumption that the human condition is something that can be quantified and systematized.

Throughout the novel Rubashov, the protagonist and one of the founding members of "the Party," who has been imprisoned for the fabricated claims that he was conspiring against "No. 1," is plagued by what he calls the "grammatical fiction." This "fiction" does not manifest itself as a voice providing arguments and condemnations, but rather as intensely personal experiences; a toothache, the hands in the drawing of a pietà, the curve of a former lover's breast. all these serve not as counter-arguments to the arguments made by his captors, arguments Rubashov ultimately seems to accept, but rather as examples of the unquantifiable elements which are an essential part of any human, and thus any society of humans, and which a formal system such as Marxism can never properly include.
>>
Harold Bloom, Thomas Pynchon, Don Dellilo, Phillip Roth and Cormac McCarthy will die during the next 5 years.
>>
The Spiritual in Art - Kandinskiy

Funny as hell attempt to resurrect the philosophical concept of genius when it was thoroughly slaughtered by Nietzsche. Also shit about the soul of Color and how Arts should employ every means at their disposal to reach their aim
>>
>>7497956
donny won't for sure and ruggles has got a couple more years in him for sure
>>
>tfw any book Bloom reads now could be his last
>>
Ulysses

Masterful writing. A titan of prose.
Tone of book did not survive experimentation of later 2/3rds. Experimentation is wonderful but story turns from fun and adventurous to introspective and slightly sulky. Ends sad and beautiful. Left me feeling drained and mixed in opinion. It was worth the read. Funny parts are good, wish there was more of that.
>>
Thus spoke Zarathustra
A monster of a book, I would not be able to comprehend it fully in a thousand years (if full understanding was a thing). Great imagery though.
>>
That pic :C
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.