[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did 9/11 affect literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
How did 9/11 affect literature?
>>
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 9/11
>>
>>7495402

If it accomplished anything, it made all the art a far more interesting study for future generations. Scratch that, it made everything in the time period a far more interesting study for future generations.

And that's all I have to say about that.
>>
9/11 revived the Western future. From 1992-2000, the Western future died completely, replaced with stately neoliberal efficiency and effectiveness and the all-consuming feeling that the world is going to end essentially in perfection very, very soon (on a historical scale). The realization that thousands of countrymen could be slaughtered in an instant made the entire West (at least the part that matters, the U.S. and NATO) reconsider its belief that the end was near. There was still a conflict to address. Old enemies hadn't forgotten what we'd done to them before.

Before 9/11, we were reading the epilogue of the comedy that is the West. 9/11 was the final line teasing a tragedy-bound sequel.
>>
>>7495996
wow.
>>
>>7495402
It marked the beginning of the End of History©
>>
>>7495996
this is p. good
>>
>>7495996

Are you DFW?

I think post 9/11 and pre-9/11 there is a big difference in the way people are consumerist.
>>
It gave us the masterpiece American Sniper.
>>
>>7495996
>Old enemies hadn't forgotten what we'd done to them before

>he thinks 9/11 wasn't an inside job
>>
>>7496505
it's not really relevant
>>
Threadly reminder that Don Delillo LITERALLY 9/11.
>>
>>7495996
Speak for yourself murrican, there were always terrorist attacks everywhere, just because you live in a country where everyone is crazy and paranoid because you think you are the rulers of the world and everyone wants to kill you doesn't make what you said true
>>
>>7495402
Now people are able to tell whether an essay was written by an American just from reading the first couple sentences in the introduction.
>>
>>7495402
9/11 was the most perfectly aesthetic terrorist attack of all time. Literature pales in comparison to that spectacle.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 320x320
>>7496512
It tricked Delillo with visions of renewed relevance.
>>
>>7496569
>

That we have dreamed of this event, that everybody without exception has dreamt of it, because everybody must dream of the destruction of any power hegemonic to that degree, — this is unacceptable for Western moral conscience, but it is still a fact, and one which is justly measured by the pathetic violence of all those discourses which attempt to erase it.

> If one does not take that into account, the event loses all symbolic dimension to become a pure accident, an act purely arbitrary, the murderous fantasy of a few fanatics, who would need only to be suppressed. But we know very well that this is not so. Thus all those delirious, counter-phobic exorcisms: because evil is there, everywhere as an obscure object of desire. Without this deep complicity, the event would not have had such repercussions, and without doubt, terrorists know that in their symbolic strategy they can count on this unavowable complicity.

- The Spirit of Terrorism
>>
>>7495996
So Osama Bin Ladin is an Antihero
>>
>>7495402
It caused a huge rise in poorly spelt self-published "works".
>>
>>7496305

Actually no, as this anon >>7495996 said, it marked the end of the delusion known as "the end of history."
>>
>>7496305
do you even fukuyama
>>
>>7495996
I wonder if 9/11 never happened we would have ended up like Japan
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.