[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
post-post-post-post-postmodernism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: post-modernism.jpg (53 KB, 400x283) Image search: [Google]
post-modernism.jpg
53 KB, 400x283
Hey guys, what are we going with for the new movement? Metamodernism? New Sincerity? Altermodernism? Post-postmodernism? Performatism? Pseudo-modernism?

For the love of all that is holy, can we please decide on a fucking term? Fuck.
>>
A*tism
>>
you can't tell while you're in the middle of it you sperg
>>
Just so you know, post-modernism isn't as much a movement itself as an improvement over modernism. While its stance is clearly different it remains tied to the same topics.
>Intersubjectivity instead of universality
>Progression instead of utopy
>Defining morals on human actions instead of metaphysics (modernism had the same idea but stopped at rejecting christian morality and somehow ended up making its own metaphysical justification)

Post-modernims is just modernism 2.0 and we haven't even fully expanded its posibilities. Stop treating philosophy as if it were a new iphone you fucking diletante.
>>
Revolutionary Voyeurism.

Be sure to buy my Magnus Opus that redefines the next 50 years of literature Anon, I need your money to live an ordinary life with ocassional drinking, no hard drugs or any kind of scat sex whatsoever.
>>
New Realism
>>
>>7493569
retard

>>7493518
I think postmodernism still has some ground to cover
Knausgaard's "My Struggle" (which i didn't really care for) was this odd sort of hybrid between fiction/hyperbole and actual autobiography, with none of the names changed, very direct, etc.; I want to see more in that area, fiction that's very confessional, very linked to the author's real life.
I would also like to see some hyper-scientific literature emerge; something that's very futurist and blurs lines between prose fiction and technical writing. A novel that's a hybrid of linguistic prose and computer code, say. I don't know; but futurism is the key word. We need more writing that really embraces technology and our relationship with it, the rapidly disappearing distance between man and machine, cyborgism even, the singularity v humanity a la ex machina et al.
>>
>>7493604
do you want to add something else to the insult or do you feel you have gone as far as you feel like at the time with that argument?
>>
>>7493518
New Sincerity is the new big meme but so far, not a lot of good books have come out of it. I haven't read Dave Eggers yet but I always get the feeling he's just kinda meh. Infinite Jest predicted New Sincerity but I'm reluctant to place it in the movement. I suppose it's more of a post modern work that is rebelling against post modernism.
>>
>>7493518
Before we talk about these things, we need to define them.
>>
Can somebody explain what the hell new sincerity actually is? Some kind of level of meta-irony so deep it goes beyond irony and becomes truth?
>>
>>7493630
I would love to go further, but I couldn't possibly, because clearly your frames of reference for things as fundamental as language and logic are so off-base that it would be totally futile, since we're not even operating on the same basic set of assumptions about the universe.
>>
memeism
>>
>>7493723
*memeticism
>>
>>7493518
I like "remodernism", if only because it's upfront about the complete lack of originality involved.
>>
File: john-oliver-twist.jpg (58 KB, 614x412) Image search: [Google]
john-oliver-twist.jpg
58 KB, 614x412
>>7494067

>2015
>lack of originality
>still thinks originality is a thing
>>
>>7493518
just the conception of joining a "movement" with a bunch of other guys and writing things that fit into that movement is a modernist idea

no more names for the nameless
>>
>>7493662
people saying they're tired of irony and actually writing things they feel have ideological significance
>>
>>7494159
There's a different between putting together pre-existing pieces of information to create something new - which is how all thoughts are formed - and outright replicating what has already been done.
>>
>>7494212
The way people talk about post-modern irony, I'm not even sure I know what that term means anymore. How does expressing your ideas through irony take away from ideological significance?
>>
>>7494222
by talking about the negatives of opposing ideologies instead of the positives of your own
>>
>>7494218

You're talking about remodernism and stuckism. I didn't ask about that.

>>7494192

No one is "joining" anything. Although I do like your last line.
>>
>>7494248
>You're talking about remodernism and stuckism. I didn't ask about that.
Metamodernism and post-postmodernism follow the same principles of "just do something that's already been done but in a way that makes it seem new so you can feel important".
>>
>>7494255

I understand what you're meaning, and you're right that remodernism and stuckism are just trying to go back to modernism. But meta and popomo are about a blend of the modern and pomo.

Though, I can see myself agreeing with the argument that others said, that people are just confused and it's still just pomo and pomo is not done yet.
>>
Manifesto of New Realism by Maurizio Ferraris

>Philosophical realism has taken a number of different forms, each applied to different topics and set against different forms of idealism and subjectivism. Maurizio Ferraris’s Manifesto of New Realism takes aim at postmodernism and hermeneutics, arguing against their emphasis on reality as constructed and interpreted. While acknowledging the value of these criticisms of traditional, dogmatic realism, Ferraris insists that the insights of postmodernism have reached a dead end. Calling for the discipline to turn its focus back to truth and the external world, Ferraris’s manifesto—which sparked lively debate in Italy and beyond—offers a wiser realism with social and political relevance.
In the new atmosphere of Anglophone continental thought, realism is not just a viable option but is arguably home to the most promising innovations of our time. Ferraris will serve as a welcome new influence. Take that, Derrida!

http://www88.zippyshare.com/v/Pvvl14vt/file.html
>>
>>7493518
There is no "new movement". We are still in some iteration of Modernism, which is remaking/adapting itself in the name of progress the same way it has done this to everything else.

Most of these "prospective movements" will just be sketchy pseudo-intellectual prophecy, and won't go anywhere at all. To actually be the "new movement", a movement would need to have enough capacity for scalability and reproduction built into it from the start - some sort of strong emotional appeal to its audience(s). Why? Because progress outside of STEM (in which progress can make sense in limited contexts) is often just a smokescreen for "successful trends".
>>
File: none.jpg (54 KB, 635x639) Image search: [Google]
none.jpg
54 KB, 635x639
>>7493518
Aesthetics.
>>
>>7493592
I like it
>>
>>7493518
Contrarianism
>>
File: 44d6i-Perceval.jpg (181 KB, 549x1000) Image search: [Google]
44d6i-Perceval.jpg
181 KB, 549x1000
>ctrl+f 'neomedievalism'
>Phrase not found

Come on, you fucking plebs.
>>
>>7494880
>neomedievalism
from wikipedia
> A possible explanation is the need for a romanticized historical narrative to clarify the confusing panorama of current political and cultural events

yea i feel that
though if it's purely aesthetic then waaah
who wants to reinstate a monastic order with me
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.