[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I’ll be your foil, Laertes. In mine ignorance >Your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: hamlet_2890643b.jpg (68 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
hamlet_2890643b.jpg
68 KB, 620x387
>I’ll be your foil, Laertes. In mine ignorance
>Your skill shall, like a star i' th' darkest night,
>Stick fiery off indeed.
Was he mocking Laertes?
>>
Hamlet was Weird Twitter. He meant it if you agree. If you don't then he was just being ironic xD (not really tho)
>>
>>7473940
He killed his dad and made his sister kill herself.
I think he was sincere, since he didn't know laertes was using a sharpened poisoned sword.
>>
>>7473940

It's reasonable to assume. Hamlet does that a lot. He mentioned earlier to Horatio that he thought he would win the fight because he had been in 'continual practice' since Laertes went to France, so he is at least being dishonest.

Earlier in the play Hamlet says to Ophelia "I humbly thank you." It's hard to sit through because Hamlet is neither humble nor grateful, and he is definitely the sort of person to mock the guy whose father he killed and sister drove to suicide. Absolutely. My favorite character in all of literature.
>>
Just some pre-tussle bantz, mate, with some ironic foreshadowing thrown in.

p 'textbook' shakes desu
>>
>>7473940
Hamlet is the chaotic stupid "lolrandum xD" character par-excellence.

Shakespeare went completely off the deep-end with him.
>>
>>7475438
I went in your mom's deep-end.
>>
File: image.jpg (675 KB, 1264x2078) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
675 KB, 1264x2078
Laertes was sort of a Court Boor, being led on by his father Polonius to pursue greater things. Hamlet sees himself as being quite different in kind from other aspirants to power. This is reinforced by the Stoic Horatio, who advises Hamlet against pursuing Laertes as a foil.

I don't buy Polonius as a genuinely pious figure of course, he knows he has to pursue some underhanded tactics, so I'd argue that Branagh's Characterisation of him is somewhat uneven. Unfortunately, I haven't seen many other film productions, although I've seen it staged before.

>yes, I mark my pages up, deal with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 720x540
It's kind of clever that a Classical soul like Hamlet, who "willed nothing, and dared nothing, but found a stirring beauty in enduring", like the Ancient Greeks, should die with the advent of the Romanesque era (1050 A.D.)

Spengler undoubtedly was impressed by this.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 284x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 284x400
>I like him not, nor stands it safe with us
To let his madness range. Therefore prepare you;
I your commission will forthwith dispatch,
And he to England shall along with you:
The terms of our estate may not endure
Hazard so dangerous as doth hourly grow
Out of his lunacies.

"The terms of our estate may not endure", this would have been the most evil thing to castigate a fellow Greek (or "Apollonian") with. In contrast, Romanism sought to go far beyond endurance, to eliminate much of the interior life and to thrive at any cost, even if some of the best souls (like Hamlet?) fell by the wayside.
>>
>>7473940
>Stick fiery off indeed.
what in the actual fuck does this mean
>>
File: 1450045274766.webm (523 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
1450045274766.webm
523 KB, 540x360
>>7477043
Seriously, can someone explain that last line? I understand everything before it, but I can't wrap my head around just what the fuck that's meant to convey.
>>
>>7473951
>misunderstanding Twitter and FYAD irony this badly
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.