[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Many philosophers and literary critics are Jewish. Has Jewish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: gizaCut4L.gif (1 MB, 948x1200) Image search: [Google]
gizaCut4L.gif
1 MB, 948x1200
Many philosophers and literary critics are Jewish. Has Jewish theology indirectly influenced much modern academia?
>>
>indirectly
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7465842
I can think about sources of philosophy in Kabbalah studies, the way it gives texts another relief and how it influenced philosophy (i.e. hermeneutics), but I don't know if we can say it "simply" has it source in Jewish theology. Things seem more complicated than this... There are a lot of works presenting modern Occident as it "thinks itself" as being at the confluence of Athens and Jerusalem, that may be a track to follow. (While keeping in mind that "presenting itself as something" and "being something" are not necessary the same thing)
>>
>>7465932
>>7465949 here
The question may be quickly pernicious, given the kind of people who sadly post on these boards, though it may also be interesting.
By example, Leo Strauss, Levinas or Derrida were quite interested by this question (and obviously not in a racist point of view).
>>
>>7465932
>>7465958
Sorry.

I'm not an Anti-Semite, I'm half Jewish myself.

I'm just curious because Harold Bloom has made some comments about how his own Ashkenazic background is very important to him.

Has Jewish liturgical thought influenced 20th century mainstream discourse, though? Especially Jewish attitudes on guilt and goodness.
>>
>>7466643
Jewish thought has influenced everything, honestly. Many eastern concepts that found their way to the west were originally taken from the Kabalah and stuff (chi stands for the hebrew hai, I think).
Also, it influenced christian thought, which obviously played a key role in western thought.
>>
>>7466676
Tje influence that you mention is not the only kind of cultural influence there is. Attitudes, for example, can also be transmited via commerce and communication. Maybe academia has not be influenced by religions or ethnic backgrounds so much in words as in attitudes towards certain concepts, like the matter ofvdeath for example.
>>
The emnanative hierachy of the kabbalistic 'tree of life', is a generative dialectic blueprint. Unity of opposites creating more and more complex synthetic emmanations until reaching malkuth, the material realm.

Hegel's metaphysics are arguably an academic elaboration on jewish mysticism, as introduced to the christian world by Kircher.
>>
>>7466676
>Many eastern concepts that found their way to the west were originally taken from the Kabalah and stuff (chi stands for the hebrew hai, I think)
That sounds like a wackily implausible claim to me.
>>
>>
>>7465932
>OY VEY SHUT IT DOWN
Relax your report button Shlomo, it is possible to discuss judaism and its connection to the history of thought without it being a sinister 1488 NIGGERDEATH situation.
>>7466643
Is there even liturgy at all in Rabbinic judaism?
>>
>>7466676
What about modern Rabbinical Judaism?

Until the 20th century there was so much bigotry that I doubt any uniquely Jewish themes would have been tolerated by the Christian-dominated academia.
>>
>>7465932
Why is any discussion of Jewish influence automatically silenced? Isn't it unreasonable to dismiss out of hand the idea that maybe some Jews are up to no good? It has become acceptable to talk about homophobia, sexism and white supremacy . Jewish privilege is simply the next frontier for civil rights, there's no reason to keep quiet.
>>
>>7467250
People were trying to give something about >>7465842 question with a perspective that were proving >>7465932 wrong, but then you thought it was a good idea to offer your infinite wisdom.
It's quite despairing
>>
>>7467035
Its not that whacky if you think of it as eastern concepts reaching the west through jewish teachings.

Like i postulated earlier, the "mystic" teachings can be seen as metaphysichal frameworks. Taoism for example, the whole yin/yang thing, is another example of pre hegelian generative dialectics.

Or compare the taoist notion of energy centers to the yogi concept of chakras. Then compare to the emnanations/spheres of the kabbalahs tree of life.

Curious fact: the pythagoreans operated with kabbalistic gemmatria applied to the greek alphabet. There is no reason to assume Plato didn't.

Oh, and one outspoken kabbalist academic of the 20th was Maslow. Hierachy of needs... The connection should be obvious.

Regardless what you might project of modern schisms, the jews were the nomadic intellectuals of ancient times. Synthesizing stuff they came across from the east orient over caucasus and north africa and into europe- much like the gypsies did with artwork and music.
>>
>falling for thinly disguised /pol/ bait in the OP
>>
>>7465842
Jew conspiracies, LIBERUULS, leftism hates whites, etc.

Did you expect any good reply? Fuck off.
>>
>>7467373
>>7467391
>tumblr extracts or whatever sees the words "Jewish" and academia
>doesn't read the thread
>goes straight ahead and assumes everyone is a nazi while simultaneously being the only posters in the thread actively shitting it up
>>
>>7467391
Actually, try to read before posting ! There were at most two replies which were anti-Semitic. On this website this is rather rare
>>
>>7467414
(I mean, "rare" to have so few anti-Semitic replies of course)
>>
>>7465932
Who could be behind this post?
>>
>>7465842
>>>/pol/
or better yet
>>>/his/
The historians might have the answers you are looking for, they are also more accepting of polbait over there.
>>
>>7465842
yes, a lot of the practice of hermeneutics, that is, of interpretation of non-fictional texts and the formation of a philosophical argument based on the interpretation, comes from rabbinic interpretation and extrapolation from hebrew scripture. that is not to say that philosophy, literary criticism, and critical theory are "jewish" fields
>>
>>7467509
Not OP, but the interest of /lit/ may be to discuss (by example) a source of hermeneutics like >>7467527 does, and precisely avoid /pol/-posters
>>
>>7466643
>I'm half Jewish myself.
No such thing.
>Has Jewish liturgical thought influenced 20th century mainstream discourse, though? Especially Jewish attitudes on guilt and goodness
Yes primarily due to the intense study of the talmud among all observant jewish males.
>>
Since no one is picking up the discussion beyond knee jerk /pol/arization, i'll just continue my rant.

The kabbalah was introduced explicitly to the christian world and theology by Kircher during the rennaisnance. Arguably, his version is a flawed interpretation, but to deny its influence on western thought is folly. Through studies of gemmatria, Kircher pioneered cryptography among other fields.

Whats interresting though, is that the hebrew alphabet is a refinement of aramaeic, which is a simplification of a simplified hieroglyph system deviced by the egyptians in order to communicate both words and numbers with their slaves/servants of foreign tongue.

While using a highly complex pictogrammatic alphabet themselves, the egyptians deviced a simple phonetic alphabet that would at the same time serve as numerals. The symbology and the numeric value of each hebrew letter corresponds directly to the egyptian phonetic pictograms.

Thus, it could be argued that the pythagoreans were picking up from egyptian tradition rather than jewish. Yet, if you study the pythagoreans, or the accounts of their practice, it becomes obvious that they operated with generative metaphysics resembling the kabbalah more than a little. An emmanative model of ten spheres (the tethrachtys) representing the world and the universe. The notion of breath as *the* creative force. Ruach in hebrew.

It becomes hard to say who got whose ideas from whom. But it is nonetheless apparent that what was ancient jewish tradition was at least mirrored in the greek tradition.

Plato's musings on unity and the one are mirrored in the zohar. (and he lifted the terminology and concepts from what he knew about the pythagoreans)

It is curious to note that a huge chunk of what is preserved of ancient greek stuff, which we consider the cradle of our civilization, survived because another semitic civilization- namely the arab/muslim caliphate- which contrary to western holier than thou crusader culture, allowed jews (and greek othodox christians) to coexist peacefully within their reign.
>>
Because the average jew is richer than the average not jew.

So the average jew has a more highly skill diploma and an highly place in the intellectual pyramid.

And also, Jew supports their self each other.

Sorry to tell the truth.
>>
Here's an article about Derrida's writings and Kabbalah :
http://www.nyu.edu/classes/bkg/jwg/kabbalah-derrida.pdf
Derrida himself was consciously trying to inscribe multiple levels of writing into his work (and de facto, he tried to show that everybody does, even when it's not "consciously"). It was notably one of the points emerging in "Limited Inc"

>>7467599
That's interesting ! And thanks for the reminder which brings back some complexity :
>>"It becomes hard to say who got whose ideas from whom. But it is nonetheless apparent that what was ancient jewish tradition was at least mirrored in the greek tradition."
>>
>>7467250
You're smart enough to realize the difference.

While many Jews are materially privileged, and while the average Western Jew is wealthier than the average Western Christian, Jews still lack the power of Christians as a whole.

Jewish privilege exists, but until very recently any material perk of being Jewish was largely counter-acted by the reality of anti-semitism. These days, a Jewish person cannot rise in politics or academia without being accused of being part of a conspiracy.

Some Jews certainly are horrible people, but the same is true of every demographic. Talking about if Jews are "up to something" is just a dogwhistle for "we should oppress Jews more"
>>
>>7467250
jews are individually often powerful, but jews as a class are subservient to christians as a whole

/pol/ is wrong. jews don't control the world. they're disproportionately powerful, but no jew can succeed outside of israel without christian approval. just look at politics. do you think bernie sanders or barry goldwater could get anywhere if they gave speeches about the horrors wrought in the name of christianity?
>>
>>7467599
>writes an actually substantial post
>dubs

This man is a gentleman and a scholar. I study mysticism and did not know about the Ruach. Seems breathing is a key component in mystical traditions, both for its practicality and its symbolic meaning.
>>
>>7467911
>inhaling air
>key component
no shit
>>
File: 1425356975030.jpg (72 KB, 634x397) Image search: [Google]
1425356975030.jpg
72 KB, 634x397
>>7467808
>Jews still lack the power of Christians as a whole.
they do not want explicit power. making the belief that they are the underdog is how they live and is far more beneficial and protect them from a form of atavistic anti-religious from the white leftists
>>
>>7467599
>which contrary to western holier than thou crusader culture, allowed jews (and greek othodox christians) to coexist peacefully within their reign.

huh, wasn't Islam spread violently? I assumed non-converting peoples were mostly slaughtered
>>
>>7467869

Hah
ha
ha

Make yourself feel better about yourself you tepid White middle class vaguely Christian scum

What have you done that remotely approaches the accomplishments of the Jewish people?

Not even Jewish btw
>>
File: 1449628003024.jpg (43 KB, 613x451) Image search: [Google]
1449628003024.jpg
43 KB, 613x451
>>7468521
>I assumed non-converting peoples were mostly slaughtered

thish ish the very esshence of ideology. you haff subshtituted the hishtorical reality for your own preconceptions, and it doesn't even faze you. mein gott. obscene.
>>
What is the Kabbala exactly?
>>
>>7468533
>Make yourself feel better about yourself you tepid White middle class vaguely Christian scum
Jewish resentiment at its finest
>>
File: 1448161235769.png (234 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1448161235769.png
234 KB, 500x400
>>7467362

What a load of steaming bullshit. You're pulling shit out you're ass it's mind boggling. I want sources on your claims, everyone one because thats the most absurd thing I've read all week.
>>
>>7468873
Which parts of the post do you find disagreeable?

Greek gemmatria -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopsephy

Maslow's kaballistic / and general mystic/religious connection is well documented. He spoke a lot about it himself.

The eastern -> Jewish connection is also well documented. I recommend reading "From Yoga to Kabbalah: Religious Exoticism and the Logics of Bricolage" by Veronique Altglas.

See pic related for an documentation of Jewish migration during ancient times...

Also google you lazy fuck.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.