[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Candide a revolutionary work for the time that it was published
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: putin-dog5.jpg (124 KB, 1368x908) Image search: [Google]
putin-dog5.jpg
124 KB, 1368x908
Was Candide a revolutionary work for the time that it was published in? It seems to me that the whole notion of ending up in the Garden doing labour to sustain yourself is the antithesis to the story of Adam and Eve, where God revoked them from the Garden, a place where they didn't have to work and everything was handed to them on a silver platter like the privileged degenerates they were.

Help me develop my thoughts /lit/
>>
Candide was a troll book written to prove how stupid a popular (philosophical?) theory at the time was.
>>
>>7442079

Nice bait
>>
>>7442081
>Candide is characterised by its sarcastic tone as well as by its erratic, fantastical and fast-moving plot. A picaresque novel with a story similar to that of a more serious Bildungsroman, it parodies many adventure and romance clichés, the struggles of which are caricatured in a tone that is mordantly matter-of-fact. Still, the events discussed are often based on historical happenings, such as the Seven Years' War and the 1755 Lisbon earthquake.[8] As philosophers of Voltaire's day contended with the problem of evil, so too does Candide in this short novel, albeit more directly and humorously. Voltaire ridicules religion, theologians, governments, armies, philosophies, and philosophers through allegory; most conspicuously, he assaults Leibniz and his optimism.
>>
Candide is shit-tier and Voltaire was a talentless unbearable hack who was popular because he was a pleb critic.
>>
>>7442094

You know what? Fuck you. Just fuck you.

>lol I'm a random guy on the internet I have the right to criticize a historical philosophical figure who contributed more to humanity in one minute than I have in my entire life.

You're an asshole.

Schopenhauer, Voltaire, Spinoza, Plato, Aristotle, and Paine are God tier.

Nietzsche and everyone else is shit tier and irrelevant. Fuck you.
>>
>>7442096
Voltaire is a shithead with teenage angst who stole most of its ideas from François Rabelais and you're a faggot who knows nothing. Go back reading Molière fucking pleb.
>>
>>7442096
If you're going to be this goddamn sensitive, I really don't think 4chan is a good place for you to be spending your time.
>>
>>7442103

You're a cunt who has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>7442111
Shut the fuck up, worthless faggot. Oh my God, why are you even allowed to come here? If you weren't throbbing on his cock, you would realize he's the plebbest “thinker” of the 18th century.
>>
>>7442110
>>7442103
>>7442079

OP here.

So I'm just trying to understand the main themes of Candide and relate them to themes of the enlightenment (exam question for political philosophy).

My plan is to basically discuss how critical thinking, secularism, the idea of humans being capable of ruling themselves as opposed to needing aristocrats to rule them, and how all humans have the capacity to be enlightened were encouraged in that era, but I'm not 100% sure of how to relate them to Candide. Anyone have any suggestions?

>>7442119

I agree with this Voltaire was shit tier.
>>
Voltaire sucked
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.