[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question, besides the wiki obviously, how do you guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: a modern history of japan.jpg (98 KB, 400x589) Image search: [Google]
a modern history of japan.jpg
98 KB, 400x589
Serious question, besides the wiki obviously, how do you guys find new books to read? Is goodreads a trustworthy website for lists and recommendations? It seems like they are good for some things but very lacking in others (for example you can find massive lists of general history books but a search for "Japan history" or "Eastern history" lists turns up nothing. also they often mislabel historical fiction as non-fiction).

Please forgive my newfaginess.
>>
>>7429948
LibraryThing's tagmash system has been my best resource for finding specific subsections of shit to read for years now.

You start with, say, Russian literature:

www.librarything.com/tag/Russian+literature

What if you want surreal Russian literature?

https://www.librarything.com/tag/Russian+literature,+surreal

Or poetry?

https://www.librarything.com/tag/Russian+literature,+poetry

Obviously the books aren't always applicable to both things, since it's relying on user tags, and users don't always know best, or might have just accidentally tagged it that. But it's a perfect jumping off point. This also doesn't assess quality.
>>
>>7429948
It it's serious non-fiction, a good book usually has an index of literature quoted or used in the back, providing a starting point for further reading.
>>
>>7429948
I have friends who read and constantly recommend and discuss books, and I read the book reviews in magazines, so if anything it's harder to prioritize all the promising titles that I hear about.
>>
I go through http://radfem.org/, especially the Dworkin section, when I want to read something that will educate me on a contemporary cultural problem not touched on by the mainstream very much.

Need new material soon though. Burning through that list.
>>
>>7429978
<3
>>
>>7429978
Are radfems the new Christposters?
>>
>>7429982
I hope we'll see a vicious clash between the fractions (unles they're one and the same).
>>
>>7429961

This seems really good, thank you.
>>
>>7429982
Chrisposter as in Christian propaganda?

I don't see /lit/ taking that very serious.

You should look into radical feminism. It's intellectual and pragmatic, perhaps the polar opposite of religion. It has a take on sexuality and core human relations which entirely falls outside the left-right spectrum...

I followed librul sexual liberation dogma my whole life (and constantly felt uncomfortable about it because deep down it greatly frustrates me when women behave like "sluts" and men more or less like rapists), and now I'm incredibly mad that this radically different perspective has basically been erased out of the mainstream and kept away from me all this time.

The book Woman Hating is a good starting point. (Yeah I posted about this a few times now in the last couple days.)
>>
>>7429948
i see what the lit meme team in goodreads is reading.
>>
>>7429948
just ask lit

usually it will be good advice

sometimes not
>>
>>7429978
If people weren't bored to death you'd be forgotten in an hour, but since we like to shitpost, enjoy your week of relevance.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.