[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comm ents/4teozs/have_you_eve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: 1462906643154.jpg (58 KB, 316x293) Image search: [Google]
1462906643154.jpg
58 KB, 316x293
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/4teozs/have_you_ever_had_to_stop_reading_a_novel_because/

>Nobody has really read Finnegan's Wake. People only make the claim and nobody can call them out on it, as they've never read it either.
>Nah, not entirely a prank, although there are lots of prankish elements to Joyce's later work - Ulysses, for instance, is filled with meaningless themes and arbitrary motifs specifically designed to throw academics off the trail of his true meaning.

>Finnegans Wake, however, I'm convinced is the product of a brilliant mind looking at itself through the twisted lens of a deep drug psychosis... By the time he started writing it, Joyce was heavily addicted to opiates (ultimately the consequence of a long string of eye surgeries) and propped up with a healthy regiment of amphetamines (will have to double check this last bit). Point is, he was high as shit for years upon years when he wrote that madness...

Why is Leddit so pleb?
>>
File: 1468383709918.jpg (114 KB, 598x934) Image search: [Google]
1468383709918.jpg
114 KB, 598x934
>>8293299
Why are you going to reddit?
>>
>The most apparent book that comes to mind is the first Dune. There was way too much going on with the political details, history, and nomenclature. My poor teenage mind couldn't follow it all.

Also:

>past Chapter 2. It is so boring. Also, in grad school I was assigned Proust's "Remembrance of things past" and I couldn't finish it. Of course I was in a M.A. French Lit program and reading the original text so there's that.

M.A. in French Lit but too stupid to read Moby-Dick or Proust? Are they just passing out degrees to anyone who wants one?
>>
>>8293374
Oops, accidentally cut off the bit where he can't read Mony-Dick.
>>
>>8293299
>they had trouble reading 100 years of Arcadiotude

I understand Ulysses being difficult, but there is no excuse for this level of plebbitude.
>>
>>8293374
Yes they are infact handing degrees out nowadays.
>>
>>8293299
>Point is, he was high as shit for years upon years when he wrote that madness...
its this even true?
>>
>>8293427
I have read numerous online articles about Joyce in addition to several academic biographies and analyses and not once have i heard of Joyce holding any addiction past his heavy drinking; he was really too poor for anything else
>>
>>8293431
Ok thanks for answer
>>
>>8293299
Reddit is so stupid, right guys?
>>
>>8293492
Well, Reddit is stupid.
>>
>>8293301
Sometimes I check there for goofs, gags, jokes, and rambunctious behavior
>>
>>8293495
Yeah b-but..
>>
>the top thread on r/books is about being unable to read
Makes sense.
>>
>>8293299
It is in itself sort of pretentious to take pride in the inability of others. Finnegans wake is contemporary, and undeniably difficult to understand even to the most literate. To condemn those who cannot understand such a work asinus ad lyram is just silly tbqhf
>>
>>8293374
>Are they just passing out degrees to anyone who wants one?

Yes, did you miss the last 50 years? Universities are for profit diploma mills nowadays.
>>
>>8293770
I had to work for my degrees. One of them was literally impossible to fail but it was also almost impossible to get a (good) job with below median grades.
>>
>>8293679
Of course, but implying that it is simply not meant to be understood is ignorant, and staying that anyone who has read it only did so to impress others is belittling to those who have actually tried.
>>
>>8293299

S A D A N D B A N A L
>>
>>8293679
>superfluous "in itself"
>starting sentence with to-infinitive
>latin

Who is pretentious?
>>
>>8293796
>latin is pretentious
>people who are more literate than I am are pretentious
>>
File: coffe_pepe.jpg (17 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
coffe_pepe.jpg
17 KB, 225x225
Because Reddit gives power to numbers, and intellectual activites are fundamentally opposed to such a way of discussing and thinking.

>tfw you will never be this clueless

Also, the OP is definitively a woman right? There is something very feminine about the way it is written, it jumps back and forth and is generally very unfocused and superficial. Like there is no weight to the words.
>>
>Click on any thread in r books
>people there are talking about the audio book
*joker laugh*
>>
>>8293819
I never understood the pseud mentality that using cliches is somehow a sign of intellect as long as you recite them in Latin.
>>
>>8293858
dude, thats just a reductio ad latinium come on bro
>>
>>8293826
>click on any thread on lit
>people here aren't talking about books at all
>proceed to make another thread about reddit
>>
>>8293858
>using words is cliché

kill urself
>>
lel reddit threads are so full of butthurt ever since the redditors moved in.
>>
>>8293926
Using banal metaphors is the definition of cliche. Reciting them in Latin doesn't make them new or clever, nor does it make you "more literate" than anyone else.
>>
>>8293964
>Arguing with yourself on the internet makes you clever
>>
>>8293374
>M.A. in French Lit
>stupid to read Moby-Dick or Proust
These two don't contradict each other.
>>
>>8294036
The Proust part does...
>>
>>8293299
>consumes art which employs any form of abstraction
>lmao i wonder how many drugs he was on
>>
>>8294036
I don't think anyone with a highschool reading level, a dictionary, and a healthy attention span would be too stupid to read Moby Dick.
The only demand the book makes of you is an appreciation for prose and not reading it for plot
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.