[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
INSTA-POETS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 11.jpg (123 KB, 600x748) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
123 KB, 600x748
What does /lit/ think of this new development in poetics? From concrete, to found, to instagram; a whole new generation of poets is rising. Is it good? Is it inane teenage shit?
>>
So long as poetry is relegated to whining about social issues and not the effacement of the beauty of language, it will be dead.

Now please shit on this post.
>>
File: rupi.jpg (37 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
rupi.jpg
37 KB, 736x736
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/nov/23/instapoets-instagram-twitter-poetry-lang-leav-rupi-kaur-tyler-knott-gregson

>Kaur, an artist and poet who lives in Toronto, says on her website that she writes about the “experience of violence, abuse, love, loss, and femininity”. She already made headlines through her Instagram account earlier this year, when she posted a picture of herself in bed with a small amount of menstrual blood staining her pyjamas and sheets, a photograph which Instagram temporarily banned.

>On her website, she writes (all in lower case, as is her style): “there was no market for poetry about trauma abuse loss love and healing through the lens of a punjabi-sikh immigrant woman. so i decided to self publish. even though everyone said not to cause doing so would lock me out of prestigious literary circles.
>>
All I know is this Lang Leav character makes the rest of that shit look like Whitman. Holy fuck. What a worthless fraud.
>>
>>7385575
>Despite their popular success, the Instapoets’ style of angsty heartbreak poetry and daily outpourings of emotion is not to everyone’s taste. Nor do they undergo the same rigorous revising processes of more conventional poets. Gregson has said he never edits his 17-syllable haiku – “because it felt like betraying the exact emotion of the time” – and Leav says anything she posts online should be considered a first draft.

>Still, the Instapoets are doing what surely every poet wants to achieve: connecting with and moving their readers – and achieving commercial success with it.
>>
>>7385578
I want to go through her instagram and find the most shit poetry I can to post but I'm afraid it might kill me
>>
File: death worm.jpg (14 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
death worm.jpg
14 KB, 320x213
>>7385574
This poetry doesn't seem to be that politically active, except on the `be nice to each other' banal level condemning terrorism etc. It mainly seems to be teenager-tier stuff about muh heart
>>
>>7385574

> the effacement of the beauty of language

this.

who should I read to find poets who do this. I know it's shit-tier as fuck but if there was a poet that wrote like the first chapter of lolita I would buy all their works right now.

>in b4 Nabokov was a poet
I know, never read his stuff, is it worth it?
>>
>>7385574
>So long as poetry is relegated to whining about social issues and not the effacement of the beauty of language, it will be dead.
what do you mean by "effacement of the beauty of language"?
>>
>>7385595
I don't think 'effacement' is the right word but is that post advocating for beauty of form over content?
>>
>>7385574
Do you think it is possible for someone to break through the slam shit and start a new movement dedicated to academic poetry?
(I use the term academic to mean beautiful because this current shit is obviously not academic)
>>
>>7385599
academic poetry is not the future and is devoid of potential or excitement and therefore real beauty, which always has both those characteristics

there is a future for poetry more along the lines of the aesthetics you desire, but it is not yet here
>>
>>7385595
This poster >>7385598 has it right.

>>7385599
No. I haven't read enough poetry myself to really have a full grasp of where it can go from slam poetry and poetry as extremely frank, sincere, and in your face.

Personally, I have zero interest in writing poetry like that. But where things go from there is another story. I think we're reaching the end of a lot of things, artistically.
>>
>>7385604
It's just that these poems are so surface level. There is literally no point to reading them more than once, there's no pleasure in the language or depth of meaning; just a trite moral or feeling to be digested by the reader as they flick through their newsfeed or whatever.
>>
>>7385629
>trite
Tripe
>>
>>7385571
This is garbage senpai. Breaking out of the standard conventions of rhyme, meter, alliteration, etc is all fine as long as you can still supply some kind of novel or at least somewhat creative uses of vocabulary and imagery. This is nothing. The only place it even attempts to move beyond banal dialogue is the 'outpouring of the soul' part, which is an ancient cliche
>>
Literally 'like dis if you cry evrtytime'-tier. What trash
>>
There's no beauty in it, no unique imagery, no metaphors that strike you with the force of their novelty. Just trash, I can't believe these clowns think they're poets. 'like an outpouring of the soul?' Cmon nigga
>>
>>7385574
>effacement
This is not the right word, this is the rubbing out of something.
>>
It is my hopeful belief that the period of instant gratification (poems iz short) and greater need for performance in art to gain money (due to the now total sharing of information) will lead to a resurgence in spoken poetry as a popular form, and people will write beautiful things for it. Just because the release of the consumer must be quick does not mean that the artist can take no care. Good poetry exists but it needs to be returned to a more mass realm, rather than mostly female students who like hearing about why they're all scared to walk the street at night and why they're not fat. Even among that realm there is good poetry, it just tends to be blocked from your ears by the crap.
>>
>>7385575
i thought it was two nooses and i was disappointed :(
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.