[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's get this out in the open
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1468745686320.jpg (692 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1468745686320.jpg
692 KB, 1280x1707
There is no way to force others to agree with your definition of literary quality. Most people have an artistic quality definition of "Whatever gives me joy" and their definition of joy is their own and may vary from time to time.

What the academia-media-publishing industrial complex and its pseudo intellectual hangers on (i.e., /lit/) seeks to do is band together to form a large group with a common definition of literary quality, a definition which may not be honestly believed by individual members of the group. This gives them many advantages, one of which is relevant to /lit/: the ability to claim to have a superior intellect or literary knowledge based on their literary preferences.

This same pattern repeats itself among many groups.
>>
You're a hipster OP.
Your entire post says nothing that isn't obvious. This is just how taste and trends work, with all things.
You haven't figured anything out. And you're not above it, lad.
>>
>Most people have an artistic quality definition of "Whatever gives me joy" and their definition of joy is their own and may vary from time to time.

That's true, but there CAN be a qualitative measuring of joy. As much as I don't really like John Stuart Mill, I think that he had a point in the ability for someone who has more education to make a more accurate assumption concerning what is more pleasurable.

For example: fly fishing versus bait fishing. If you ask anyone who has knowledge of fly fishing and can do it if they prefer fly fishing or bait fishing, I can damn-near guarantee that every single one will say that fly fishing is more pleasurable than bait fishing. But it's also more difficult, so less people are apt to do it than bait fishing. But the ones that have made an attempt to further their knowledge to understand how to do the various forms of fishing will almost unanimously agree on fly fishing.

Carrying that example to literature, I think it's obvious that someone who has read more, and has been specifically taught in the art of reading, will be able to derive more pleasure from works that are objectively better. Why do you think there are thousands of academic writings on Henry James, but very few on contemporary John Galsworthy? It's because people who are educated in reading will derive more pleasure from the dense, intricate style of James.
>>
> Most people have an artistic quality definition of "Whatever gives me joy"

This is obviously false. If it were the case that most people defined "artistic quality" as whatever brings them joy, then they would would accept that sex, the company of friends and family, good food, etc., -- all things which bring people joy -- have "artistic quality." But few if anyone would claim that these things have "artistic quality." And so it is safe to conclude that most people either don't believe that artistic quality constitutes whatever brings them joy, or else that they do but are thoroughly confused.

OP you need to be more rigorous when discussing (or thinking) about this sort of thing.
>>
you make this post like twice a month and get BTFO every time

just give it up and go back to trolling normies on reddit or something
>>
I just like books, man.
>>
No matter how many times you type "academia-media-publishing industrial complex" it will never catch on, stop trying
>>
>>8290984
op is butthurt his mediocre intelligence and achievements couldn't get him into an elite institution so he spends his time attacking some perceived system keeping him down on an anonymous Papua new Guinean drum circle imageboard
>>
Top lyl, the responses range from, "That's obviously true," to, "REEE stop hurting my feelings OP!"
>>
>>8290672
>an artistic quality definition of "Whatever gives me joy"
you have read zero (0) books on aesthetics
>>
>>8291498
>op samefaggging his thread
>>
>>8290672
>b-b-but I read Ready Player One and I enjoyed it a-and that means it's good and that's that. YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT ART IS
chill dude. I feel like you're trying to overhaul the entire system of literary merit just to justify the shit you like.

believe it or not when we aren't infested with you summerfaggots this place has some pretty academic discussions. there are reasons as to why certain books are held above others, just watch some lectures or read about aesthetics

Running around screaming
>everything is subjective
is just going to turn this place into another r/books. And if r/books was what you wanted you wouldn't be here.
>>
>>8290913
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
>>
>>8291632
same as u m8
>>
>>8290672

>What the academia-media-publishing industrial complex

Seriously dude, fucking go outside. I remember when I used to spend 14 hours a day on 4chan, it's unhealthy as shit.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.