[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is the point of reading this when Pynchon just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Gravitys_rainbow_cover.jpg (21 KB, 392x574) Image search: [Google]
Gravitys_rainbow_cover.jpg
21 KB, 392x574
What the fuck is the point of reading this when Pynchon just makes three obscure pop culture references every page that I don't understand since I'm too young

Maybe I should stick to more straight forward books like Hemingway
>>
you're fucking stupid

>What the fuck is the point of reading this when Pynchon just makes three obscure pop culture references every page that I don't understand since I'm too young
i'm guessing you didn't even try reading it. only /lit/ would give this impression of gravity's rainbow. or, maybe you're just too thick to understand the book and are trying to blame it on an abundance of references.
any way you look at it you're a fuckin mong who wouldn't be able to appreciate hemingway either

conclusion: stop shitting up my board
>>
>>8288107
Early on in the book, he goes on an extended metaphor about an adenoid, which is a reference to a Chaplin movie. There are plenty of other references to historical people and the like that I simply do not understand, perhaps because I am not American
>>
>reading reviews of this on Amazon
>it's recommended that you buy a SEPARATE book and read that first, as it explains all of the references
>>
>>8288979
>which is a reference to a Chaplin movie
How are adenoids a reference to a Chaplin movie?
>>
>>8288988
Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator was named Adenoid
>>
so, E Die Pensiero is a pop culture reference? OP, i defy you to explain that one.
>>
File: iage.jpg (20 KB, 374x478) Image search: [Google]
iage.jpg
20 KB, 374x478
What the fuck is the point of reading this when Joyce just makes three obscure ancient Greece references every page that I don't understand since I'm too young
>>
>>8288107
>my board

Lol. You're absolutely pathetic.
>>
>>8288989
I guess.
>>
Its a meme book thats not supposed to be ready seriously, get your giggles and move on, there's nothing to be learned from it.
>>
>>8288994
*to
>>
>>8288088
>>8288979
>>8288987
You don't have to get all the references to understand the book. Sure, there are parts where some of the references are extremely helpful in analyzing a scene, but just go with the flow of the novel, and you will realize what Pynchon is trying to say.
>>
>>8288995
What are you, a fag?
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 501x525) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 501x525
>>8288995
Yup, my board.
>>
>>8288088

I get those references and I'm not young, because I'm not a fucking shitblaster. GET YOURSELF SORTED
>>
>>8289308
Excuse me, it seems like you used my image.jpg there.
>>
>>8288100
This is the most terrible thing I've ever heard
>>
>>8289361
don't try to reason with Stirnerfags. They're literal toddlers going through their "everything is my property" phase like those seagulls from finding nemo.
It makes them feel valid.
>>
>>8289361
>Excuse me
You were out of the element there
>>
>>8288994
Start by reading Odyssey
>>
>>8289366
It's quite good backwards.
>>
>>8288088
>what's the point of educating myself?
too young or too dumb and lazy? any time i came across a novel i had difficulty comprehending i took it as a challenge from the author himself to understand the writing. why give up on the novel? research what you do not understand and educate yourself, mate.
>>
>>8289369
Breaking news!
No fun autist starts trouble over harmless banter, still a virgin!
>>
>>8288979
>perhaps because I am not American

Or perhaps because you're a retard?
>>
>>8289302
Yes
>>8289308
No
>>
Dumb nigger, just read this.
>>
>>8289419
I am from China, I am not going to understand obscure references to American 1940-1960s pop culture
>>
File: 1465099105485.jpg (124 KB, 639x480) Image search: [Google]
1465099105485.jpg
124 KB, 639x480
>>8288088
Just have fun and cruise through it. If is a funny book and you'll completely miss that if you treat it as something you need to academically over analyze.
You don't need to understand it all to enjoy it. Plan on reading it again and going more in depth with that and all consequent readings.

Trust me, if you just read it and have fun, you'll be excited for the next read and since you already know what happens, things you missed will stick out more.
>>
>>8289481
plenty of Americans are clueless about 1940-
1960's pop culture, too, these days. however, if you're not enjoying the novel and aren't up to researching the references, then it would probably be better for you to return to it at a later date.
>>
>>8289516
I think that's my issue, I at the end of the day am reading to have fun but want to feel sophisticated so I bog myself down in details that probably aren't important and then I don't enjoy the books so I end up not reading
>>
Started reading Mason & Dixon

>that mahogany table wavy sentence whatever
>those branches lit in winter like nerve endings reference

what a writer

just drops those sentences, carelessly

what if I missed them
>>
>>8288979
>Early on in the book, he goes on an extended metaphor about an adenoid, which is a reference to a Chaplin movie. There are plenty of other references to historical people and the like that I simply do not understand, perhaps because I am not American
>Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator was named Adenoid

That connection is dubious at best. There is a counter-answer that Pynchon was inspired by some mangled adenoid looking biscuits he was eating at a local cafe.
Either way, what does this knowledge add? Say it was a reference to Chaplin's Great Dictator, what function does that serve? It certainly doesn't "solve" the scene, as a fan of Chaplin and that film I can tell you the connection was not obvious.
So then, Adenoid Hynkel. I suppose it allows you to reduce the scene to a cheap metaphor for fascism, for Hitler's influence. Though you probably could have done that without the supposed reference. Any imagery of a monster spreading through Europe in the second World War is suggestive enough, that was propaganda.
And even so, is that all there is to get out of the scene? If you're going to go through the book looking for little keywords that can resolve segments into metaphor or mere reference you're not getting much out of the book.
>>
>>8290194
OK then bitchboi what is the meaning of that scene

Pro tip: it's meaningless and just a humorous side story

Very few things in Pynchon's works are meaningful since he is not a sophisticated author
>>
>>8290267
>Pro tip: it's meaningless and just a humorous side story
Gee, I guess there's no reason to complain about not getting the "references" then, eh?
>>
>>8289458
although probably an interesting read, this is probably going too far. I read Pynchon alongside the wiki page and it's really helpful, I recommend doing that. I don't even read most of the references but occasionally it comes in handy
>>
>>8290302
I'm not OP, he's some dumb chink
>>
>>8290194
>So then, Adenoid Hynkel. I suppose it allows you to reduce the scene to a cheap metaphor for fascism, for Hitler's influence. Though you probably could have done that without the supposed reference.

This is, in fact, the jist. At least, that's how I read it. It's just Pynchon being wry and skillfully linking the obvious "cancer" imagery with the Chaplin connection.

It's a humorous little side-bit of background for a character, if memory serves, so I don't see why this'd be such a ridiculous interpretation of the scene.
>>
Sometimes an adenoid is just an adenoid
>>
>>8290319
I've used the wiki too but it's pretty much the same as this book. I just downloaded the PDF free online and use that. They're both nearly the same, the wiki is more in depth at times and sometimes the companion is better.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.