[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American Psycho
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: american.jpg (953 KB, 681x1024) Image search: [Google]
american.jpg
953 KB, 681x1024
I'm thinking of getting this book since I really liked the movie.

Anyone here that read it have anything to say about it?

Would you recommend it to someone else to read? On a scale of 1-10 how much did you enjoy reading the book?

Thanks.
>>
One of my favourite books desu. Make sure you can handle the extrem graphic violence.

It is far superior to the movie. So if you liked it you will love the novel.
>>
So I really loved the movie when I first saw it. After reading the book, however, the movie felt like it was five minutes long. The book hits pretty much all the same beats but gives you more of it and the movie feels pretty thin afterwards. This is typical with movies based on books though.

He lists brand names a lot and I just skim through those more or less. There isn't much of a plot and since it's stretched out it doesn't feel as linear as the movie. It's part of a whole genre of books that are monotonous psychopathic ramblings made interesting and tolerable by strange and disturbing content.
>>
>>7381909
That's great to hear. Were you able to get through the book fairly quickly?

And does the book have the exact same plot as the movie?
>>
>>7381910
Huh, that sounds pretty interesting. Thanks anon.

Were you able to get through the book fairly quickly?
>>
>>7381905
One of my favorite books.
like 10/10.

>>7381912
Similiar plot, but more in depth.

I got through it pretty quickly, I'd say.
>>
>>7381933
That's really good to hear. Looks like I'll definitely be getting the book.

Thanks for the help guys.
>>
>>7381912
>Were you able to get through the book fairly quickly?
Why does this matter, scared of a bit of reading OP?

also >plot
There is no real plot to the book or the movie. Its more of a character study.
>>
>>7381940
Haha, no, not scared. Just wanted a book that can last me a while.
>>
>>7381917
yeah a couple of sittings
not really a page turning
more like you get into a trance kinda
>>
>>7381954
Sweet, thanks anon.
>>
Really good read, kept me interested the entire way through. Much more content than the movie obviously, but as >>7381910 said it'll make the movie feel like a trailer.

Scenes with the rat were the only parts I actually felt uncomfortable reading.
>>
>>7381905
8/10
>>
>>7381941
>Haha, no, not scared. Just wanted a book that can last me a while.
Look elsewhere. That book is kinda closer to a meditation on the repetitive nature of consumerism and status. It's not exactly like a book with a big plot that you're gonna sink into for a while.
>>
>>7381905
An Ellis fan here. Really despise this book. Ellis haven't written anything good since the 90-s except for Informers and parts of Lunar Park. I would say read Rules of Attraction.
>>
>>7381910
I felt the book was a bit much, and overindulged in itself, Which i know is partly the aim. Film i feel gets themes across in a much more concise and clear way without get side tracked by it's own hyperbole and rambolic nature.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.