[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D. H. Lawrance thread. Just finishined read this, and started
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 66-Sons-and-Lovers.jpg (27 KB, 382x596) Image search: [Google]
66-Sons-and-Lovers.jpg
27 KB, 382x596
D. H. Lawrance thread.

Just finishined read this, and started Lady Chatterley's Lover. I really like the way he writes, and found sons and lovers interesting. What does /lit/ think of him and his works?
>>
I've only read his poetry. This is my favorite of his poems, Bavarian Gentians:

Not every man has gentians in his house
in Soft September, at slow, Sad Michaelmas.

Bavarian gentians, big and dark, only dark
darkening the daytime torchlike with the smoking blueness of Pluto's
gloom,
ribbed and torchlike, with their blaze of darkness spread blue
down flattening into points, flattened under the sweep of white day
torch-flower of the blue-smoking darkness, Pluto's dark-blue daze,
black lamps from the halls of Dis, burning dark blue,
giving off darkness, blue darkness, as Demeter's pale lamps give off
light,
lead me then, lead me the way.

Reach me a gentian, give me a torch
let me guide myself with the blue, forked torch of this flower
down the darker and darker stairs, where blue is darkened on blueness.
even where Persephone goes, just now, from the frosted September
to the sightless realm where darkness was awake upon the dark
and Persephone herself is but a voice
or a darkness invisible enfolded in the deeper dark
of the arms Plutonic, and pierced with the passion of dense gloom,
among the splendor of torches of darkness, shedding darkness on the
lost bride and groom.
>>
>>7376029 i really enjoy myself while reading his books. Cant put it down
>>
Anybody here read each version of Lady Chatterley's Lover? Through inheritance I've got a copy of John Thomas & Lady Jane and I'm wondering if it's a worthy substitution or if I should just read Lady Chatterley.
>>
Haven't read Lady Chatterley but Sons and Lovers was great.

Maybe read a bunch of his short stories next? 'The Woman Who Rode Away' and 'The Prussian Officer' are fantastic
>>
Rocking Horse Winner was a great short story as well.

Women in Love annoyed me at first with the way he switched from one character's perspective to another's then back again in the same chapter. Tolstoy seemed to do that less frequently and more smoothly. It was really jarring when Lawrence did it. But I still wound up enjoying Women in Love anyway. He was an original, though sometimes he was surprisingly reactionary.
>>
>>7376029
I've never read anything by him but my gf's dad gave me a biography on him for some reason
>>
"If I had my way, I would build a lethal chamber as big as the Crystal Palace, with a military band playing softly, and a Cinematograph working brightly; then I'd go out in the back streets and main streets and bring them in, all the sick, the halt, and the maimed; I would lead them gently, and they would smile me a weary thanks; and the band would softly bubble out the "Hallelujah Chorus"."

was pretty based tbhlads

Does anyone else find it interesting how some of the most romantic poets took such virulent turns towards fascism. It almost seems like an affliction of those who were most sensitive to what life could offer.

>inb4 elliotroger.jpg
>>
I've only read The Rainbow and Sons and Lovers but I really liked them both.

Always surprised when older stuff, which seems to culturally tame compared to virtually anything you find on the internet, ends up being very powerful.

I felt like the prose was superlush and I liked the way Lawrence describes the anxieties between characters.
>>
>>7378314
The anxieties, between him and Miriam, him amd his mother. Were the best oart if Son and lovers, it was written in such a vivid way while having lots of depth of the feelings happening.
>>
So far been reading "Look! We Have Come Through!" and loving it. Are any of his other collections like it?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.