[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/clg/ - Classic Literature General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: socrates in a basket.jpg (23 KB, 220x194) Image search: [Google]
socrates in a basket.jpg
23 KB, 220x194
Let's have a general dedicated to only talking about the Classics.

What's the best translation of the Oresteia trilogy? I was deciding between either Fagles or the Oxford University Press one. Any suggestions?

>inb4 learn Ancient Greek (yeah I'll get to that eventually)
>>
This thread may be dead, but I would still like to ask this in case anybody sees it.

What is the best version of The Quest of The Golden Fleece? I've been checking out the Penguin Classics and the Oxford World's Classics ones.
>>
If there is a Loeb translation I go for it. If there is not I go for any 19th century translation. Maybe it is just me but I prefer a more literal translation, and majority of the loeb translation is understandable.

People shit on loeb too much imho.

I don't like to read teubner etc with major critical aparatus as I don't read for research etc purposes. Nor I appreciate little footnotes explaining basic concepts when there are far better books which delve into the said authors work. The english as I said is not that different even for the earliest loeb, moreover many are updated with new translations.

I rather read for example, loeb of plato + a secondary source "Guide to Plato's Works". But thats just me, I just like the literal translation.
>>
>>8288275
I've heard nothing but good things about Loeb here on /lit/ though. I will definitely try to gey one despite it being not exactly the cheapest thing. That comes with the original text in Greek too, right?

>>8288211
Oxford usually puts out better translations than Penguin.
>>
>>8288498
>I've heard nothing but good things about Loeb here on /lit/ though
I don't know about here, Loeb tends to be looked down in academia etc, for "grad students who want to improve their language", i.e. pleb tier. But I find their trasnlations decent
>I will definitely try to gey one despite it being not exactly the cheapest thing.
most of them can be found online, google digital loebs, there is also the official webpage where all loebs can be read for a price, you could access it free from scihub few months ago, now you can't. Wait or if you don't feel judean go buy the subscription.
>That comes with the original text in Greek too, right?
Yeah either in latin or greek.There was an excellent article on how modern classicists ignore loeb and how they can be a great source for intermediate learners. I agree with the sentiment.
>>
>>8288572
Its probably them just being the elitists they are.I do know of Loebolus (I think that's whats its called) but I'm one of those
>muh paperback is better than electronic version
faggots. I'll perhaps use it for a quick scan of the book. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>8288586
>muh paperback is better than electronic version
fag, go to the library then.
>>
>>8288590
my local libraries are shite. i'll be a pretentious wanker anyways. this is /lit/ after all
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.