[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /lit/'s favourite tales from the Metamorphoses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: metamorphoses.jpg (939 KB, 1377x2247) Image search: [Google]
metamorphoses.jpg
939 KB, 1377x2247
What are /lit/'s favourite tales from the Metamorphoses and why? I really like Pyramus and Thisbe because its just a good love story and it's interesting to see the parallels with Romeo and Juliet
>>
Phaethon is my second favorite:

"And Phaethon sees the earth on fire; he cannot
Endure this heat, the blast of some great furnace.
Under his feet he feels the chariot glowing
White-hot; he cannot bear the sparks, the ashes,
The soot, the smoke, the blindness. He is going
Somewhere, that much he knows, but where he is
He does not know. They have their way, the horses."

Orpheus and Eurydice is my favorite:

"They climbed the upward path, through absolute silence,
Up the steep murk, clouded in pitchy darkness,
They were near the margin, near the upper land,
When he, afraid that she might falter, eager to see her,
Looked back in love, and she was gone, in a moment.
Was it he, or she, reaching out arms and trying
To hold or to be held, and clasping nothing
But empty air? Dying the second time,
She had no reproach to bring against her husband,
What was there to complain of? One thing, only:
He loved her. He could hardly hear her calling
Farewell! when she was gone."
>>
>>8280966
Which translation is this? Recommend a translation for the first time reader, please.

>>8280937
Which edition is this? I saw a similar cover for the Iliad yesterday on this board and I think they are Empyrean-tier.
>>
>>8280976

That translation is by Rolfe Humphries. It's the only one I've read so far, but I enjoyed it quite a lot.
>>
Probably the Centauromachy. Fucking hilarious parody of the battle epic.

Philomela is psychologically brilliant. Io is so touching.
>>
>>8280966
ooh yeah those are good choices too. I think every single story in it has the potential to be somebody's favourite they're just all so brilliant.

>>8280976
its the penguin clothbound classics edition. i would recommend it its pretty nice without being too gaudy
>>
>>8280995
It sounds good, hence my asking. I like that kind of translation of classical works: no rhyme, no strict meter (or is there?) yet not quite prose either, in contemporary language but not too dumbed-down, terse and direct yet poetic. Of course, being unable to read the original I can't really tell how good any translation is; I'm just saying I like the style.
>>
>>8280976
Get the Mandelbaum
>>
>>8281195
This. His translation made me cry desu
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.