[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, all. I really would love to read more and it's a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: call-of-the-wild-142.jpg (89 KB, 526x811) Image search: [Google]
call-of-the-wild-142.jpg
89 KB, 526x811
Hello, all. I really would love to read more and it's a great shame of mine that I don't. I seem to have a problem with picking up books and read very, very infrequently. I find that with a film or documentary one can sit down and watch with ease, but for a book one needs to carefully select the book that's right for that person. A book is obviously different from any other media. If one buys a book, one needs to read it through to be able to say they've read it. And the fact that it's a physical thing that will just be lying on the bookshelf unread puts me off.

If I buy the wrong book, it'll just be another thing I haven't read, mostly because for whatever reason I wasn't enjoying it. For example, I was looking at some hard sci-fi book reccomendations from this board and found a few that were immediatley interesting. I was then put off by negative reviews, despite their being many positive reviews. I understand that everyone will differ in opinion on any medium, but when it comes to a book I feel like it needs to have almost universal appraise to be able to merit buying it and sitting down with it for a significant period of time? Does that make sense? Even if it's not based on reviews I'll just naturally come to the conclusion that maybe I will struggle with a particular book or not enjoy it, so I don't want to risk buying it to then get a few pages in and have to put it on my shelf as another signifier of everything I haven't read. Perhaps I'm being too picky? The issue is I've done this a lot. I recently bought Dune but just couldn't get past the first few chapters and felt really bad. I know I shouldn't feel bad since it's entertainment, but books are different. They require a lot of time and thought.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
>>
>>8280757
get an e-reader

read short stories

get an attention spam

idk
>>
>>8280783
I know you it's a typo, but "attention spam" could be quite clever in the right context.
also short stories are a good thought.
>>8280757
I really enjoy jogging now, but at first I really hated it. I had to set up an alarm to ring every evening that told me when it's time to go out and run. I had to stop what i was doing even it is was more fun than running, and go put my hour of jogging in. at first it felt really rigid and annoying, but after a couple of weeks it became a habit. now I don't even need the alarm for it.
see where I'm getting at?
you've got decades of great reading ahead of you. one month of forcing it is a small price to pay.
if you're into scifi, try this -
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/a-word-shaped-like-bones/
or this if you feel like something oldschool -
http://www.ebooktrove.com/Asimov,%20Isaac/Asimov,%20Isaac%20-%20Nine%20Tomorrows.pdf
story number 4
>>
>>8280757
If you enjoy a book, do read on.

Apparently, you're also interested in "serious literature" but can't seem to get the same satisfaction from it. Try and read more accessible "serious literature" and move your way up. Reading a book when you're not ready or not yet in the mood for is a bad idea.
>>
Nah it's fine OP, the majority of humanity is in the same boat as you. None of us have THE perfect book, in part because since the advent of modernity the idea of one unimpeachable authority that is able to be the objective judge of things is ridiculous. Just go by what people you trust say desu
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.