[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need recommendations that address the validity of artificial life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: human-and-robot-hand.jpg (16 KB, 542x221) Image search: [Google]
human-and-robot-hand.jpg
16 KB, 542x221
Hiya, /lit/.

I've been researching potential dynamics between humans and artificial life for a science fiction universe I'm developing. I'm not so much interested specifically in androids that LOOK like humans where the differences are only internal. Rather, I'm interested in androids who are obviously mechanical but can "think" and "feel" apparently like normal humans.

In my universe, humans and androids will fight a common threat together, along with other humanoid races. These races' perceptions of each other is what I'm trying to lay out. Some humans don't trust these "feeling" androids, and some androids think equally poorly of humans. However, many members of both races are very fond of one another.

Can you guys recommend some reads for this kind of material? I recently read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", and while it was interesting it didn't evoke any of the themes I want to explore.

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>8280045

How did the artificial life forms came to be?

This is important.
>>
>>8280075
This artificial "life" the androids have is an emergent property from the improvements to artificial intelligence over time. At a certain point, artificial beings began improving themselves (Think Skynet, but less sinister, I guess?) and are now apparently sentient with "thoughts" and "feelings" on things that were never programmed by humanity. As a society, they are not hostile to humanity, but there is selective animosity between the races. One might say they're treated like a minority? (Though the morality of this is up to the viewer, since their being "alive" is ambiguous.)

The artificial beings were templated after human neurology, so they choose to keep a relatively human form (though their synapses are incompatible with ours, naturally.) Androids who choose to look more human might hold humanity in higher esteem, or even see them as gods. But I don't ever plan on them being realistic enough to be confused for a human.
>>
>>8280123
Clarification: They're treated like a minority by come citizens. There is no oppressive legislation that is unfair to androids.
>>
>>8280123

is "brain uploading" possible in the setting?
>>
I'd make a thread on /tg/ too, /lit/ isn't very fond of fiction as a whole.
>>
>>8280134
No, human and artificial synapses are not compatible at all, so they are limited to superficial interactions only. Android cortexes are constructed from a rare element, which limits their population and make perfect synergy with human neurology impossible. A human can not be put into an android body, and their memories can not be saved or processed by any machine.
>>
>>8280138
Thanks for the tip! I'll do that.
>>
>>8280045

The Bicentennial Man will probably be your best bet, but it's on an individual level, not a society as a whole.
>>
>>8280045

https://www.amazon.com/Machines-That-Think-Science-Computers/dp/0030614988
>>
File: eve-no-jikan.jpg (275 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
eve-no-jikan.jpg
275 KB, 1024x768
>>8280159
Good movie. I haven't seen it in a while, So I might just give it another watch.

But yeah, I'm particularly interested in a society where humans and androids coexist. My favorite piece of media that addresses this so far is an animated Japanese series called "Eve no Jikan". Inside of the titular bar, acknowledging the difference between organic and artificial beings is prohibited.

I want to observe androids in their free time: checking their mail, participating in the workforce, fighting along with humans... Things like that.

>>8280171
That looks great. I'll check out the included works; thanks!
>>
>>8280174

>The Bicentennial Man movie

the book, you numbskull
>>
>>8280199
Ooohhh haha

Being the plebeian I am, I didn't realize it was based on a book. The last time I thought about The Bicentennial Man, I was like 13. I will definitely look into it, thanks!
>>
>>8280174
Ghost in the Shell, both series and movie
>>
>>8280210
It's been on my radar for a while, but never thought about it for this purpose. Thanks!
>>
Research posthumanism
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.