[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished IJ. Big plot hole though, wondering if anyone noticed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: wallace 1.png (1 MB, 1556x1516) Image search: [Google]
wallace 1.png
1 MB, 1556x1516
Just finished IJ. Big plot hole though, wondering if anyone noticed it How does Orin know that entertainment is lethal?Joelle doesn't know about it until later, he wasn't close to his dad, he couldn't have watched it... maybe Mario knew, DFW mentions that no one really asks Mario about their Dad, but even then there's nothing to suggest that he knew about its purpose or its effects or even its existence really?
>>
Prove me wrong /lit/, please do
>>
It's implied that he can force information out of Mario, and that he was the one to dig it out of the grave. Mario is implied to have known that things were buried in place of his head (I think it says somewhere only Avril and him might've known this, not sure), and there's that whole section describing its first viewings, which establish the order in which it was sent: first to various catridge/film critics (right?), then Avril's various lovers (I think). The only real hole is why he would send it in the first place, to the first people, the various film critics and from there he would've known it was lethal if he paid attention and then would've sent it off to everyone else. Maybe Mario knew of its effects, or rather not its actual effects but what Himself thought it would do. Himself is also implied having taken DMZ while editing it.
>>
>>8278659
>>8278664
>implying anyone on /lit/ has actually read infinite meme
>>
himself was a drunken meglomaniac who attempted making infinite jest 4 times, I'm sure he spouted off about it once or twice. I could honestly see him talking to his kids about a film he was working on the same way his dad talked to him about his tennis accident.
>>
>>8280260
I read it not once, not twice, not frice, not quince, not centice, but three times!
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.