[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mason & Dixon or Gravity's Rainbow? Which is Pyncho
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: ahoy there hyukyukyuk.jpg (820 KB, 2598x3907) Image search: [Google]
ahoy there hyukyukyuk.jpg
820 KB, 2598x3907
Mason & Dixon or Gravity's Rainbow? Which is Pynchon's better work?

http://www.strawpoll.me/10745914

Please respond to this poll, even if you have only read one and not the other. I think with enough responses this could be fairly enlightening.

Also, GR/M&D discussion
>>
S I N G L E U P T H E L I N E S
I U P
N T
G H
L E L I N E S
E
>>
I've read both. I prefer GR, but I think they're about about equal in quality. I prefer the time period of GR over the time period of M&D which is why I prefer it. The last section of M&D is the finest Pynchon I've ever read, though. That whole section, the Hsi and Hso story, and the story of the Worm are my favorite parts of M&D. My favorite parts of GR... I love it all, so it's hard to say. I found the end of the Tchitcherine and Enzian storyline to be fucking great. Slothrop's journey to get the package of hashish was great, the British candy episode, the limerick spouting soldiers, the party scene with Bodine and Major Marvey... The only parts I didn't like reading was the poo eating and the castration scene.
>>
>>8278139
>the British candy episode
funniest part in the book imo. "Major Marvy sucks!" had me rolling too.
>>
>>8278119
:D
>>
Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.
>>
>>8279443
This is bad pasta
>>
>>8278111
I enjoyed Mason & Dixon more. It made me cry.
>>
preferring M&D to GR is a fucking MEME and proof that your every thoguht is determined by /lit/

holy fuck you stupid asshole contrarians
i'm seriously doubting you've read either

i almost prefer mason & dixon btw
>>
>>8279630
I've posted something to this effect before and agree with it. Except for the spoilers.
>>
I'm going to vote without reading either and I'm not telling which one I voted for to illegitamize your poll
>>
>>8279630
That you believe holding M&D as the height of P's oeuvre has anything whatsoever to do with /lit/ shows how much you know about either...
>>
>>8278111
Neither. I prefer Inherent Vice.

Yeah, yeah, I have shit taste, I know.
>>
>>8280911
You and I both pal.
>>
>>8278111
Vineland is better than both.
>>
>>8278111
Loved M&D and found GR basically unreadable and didn't finish it, but I did enjoy some prose and scenes and images from the ~250 pages I did read.

GR just has shite who-gives-a-fuck characters (granted that is typical Pynchon). M&D's are fantastic. I truly unironically think M&D is P's MO.
>>
>>8281024
>has shite who-gives-a-fuck characters (granted that is typical Pynchon)

Yeah, for the most part they are cartoon characters with goofy jarring names that makes it difficult to follow/care. He's still a great writer in spite of this. It's just very baroque.

But it's strange to see people praise GR and then dismiss his later non-M&D work, because it's all very consistent imo.
>>
>>8279530
Fuck off this is my favorite pasta
>>
>>8281420
You got shit tasta
>>
>>8281446
its great but it gets posted too much
becoming a forced meme
>>
>>8281837
>becoming
when has the same person throwing it non sequitur at any single post mentioning pynch been anything but forcing
>>
>>8281001
This is wrong. It seems I'm one of the few that actually loved Vineland but even I know it can't compare
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.