[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of House of Leaves?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: House of Leaves cover.jpg (231 KB, 1104x1475) Image search: [Google]
House of Leaves cover.jpg
231 KB, 1104x1475
What does /lit/ think of House of Leaves?
>>
>>8274240
Encapsulating in the aspects of literature that stand out the most.
>>
I liked it, /lit/ doesn't.
>>
>>8274240
>chilling with gf in her room, both of us reading
>get a text from girl in my hall
>asks if i want to borrow House of Leaves, she recommends it
>i say sure, pick up a copy
>start reading first ten pages
>can't stop thinking about hottie who lent me the book
>jerk off, jizz lands in the pages
>can't split the pages back open
>give book back to her
>never lends me a book again
did i goof /lit/? I'm so embarrassed
>>
should I get this or IJ? Both are $14 from my bookstore. I got 400 pages into IJ from the library and really liked it, but I don't want to be reading it when I start college for obvious reasons. Don't know much about this but the snippets I've read on Amazon and pictures of the memeier pages have me decently hyped
>>
basically a gimmicky scholastic book for "adults"
>>
>>8275683
Infinite Jest is much more rewarding assuming you have the will power to read it all the way through.
>>
>>8275813
I really don't want to be "that guy", though. Just found out The Book of Disquiet is also $14, would that be a good compromise?
>>
>>8275874
You're already "that guy", you faggot. Read whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>8275905
fuck you too mate
>>
>>8275874
>being genuinely afraid of the perception people will have on you because you read a certain novel
>a novel by david foster wallace, no less

kill yourself you insincere hipster trash
>>
>>8275280
Why did you fuck a book and not your girlfriend?
>>
>>8276063
Also
>pick up a copy
>a copy
Your shitpost is full of holes
3/10.
>>
>>8275874
book of disquiet is better than infinite jest and house of leaves.
but you also seem annoying.
>>
>>8274240
it's horrible and overwrought and it was genuinely painful to read
>>8275280
>chilling with gf
stop lying
>>
>>8275949
>insincere
you mean insecure?
>>
>>8274240
As a horror novel, I thought it was pretty interesting, but any and all enjoyment to be had from is completely obliterated by the knowledge the Danielewski is a prolific plagiarist.
>>
>>8276694
Really? Source?
>>
>>8275874
Holy shit go fuck yourself

Infinite Jest will get you hipster creed
House of Cards will get you neck beard points
The Book of Disquiet will get you that one annoying NEET fuck who can't decide on anything nor can he think for himself OH WAIT THAT'S YOU
>>
>>8277612
this is the most unnecessary blowing out i've seen. why is someone asking for recommendation so triggering?
>>
>>8277858
Did you even read what he said? He turned down a recommendation for Infinite Jest on the basis of being worried that the book would make him seem like "that guy". I can't think of a more fucking pseud thing to say.

Also, your samefaggotry is transparent. Cut it out with the damage control and move on.
>>
I only really enjoyed the oarts where they were exploring the house. All the weird text alignment was neat at first but got rather annoying later on.
>>
>>8276694
Plagiarist? Really? What?
>>
I'm reading it right now, I'd say give it a go. It's very well done but I don't know if I love it, I find myself going through lulls of not reading it for days at a time. It is creepy and cool though, so yeah sure.
>>
>>8276694
Source? Really what?
>>
Amazon recommended that when I got Recognitions. Should I trust them?
>>
>>8280127

I love both Gaddis and House of Leaves, but I don't necessarily see the correlation, proceed with caution. They're both prone to the postmodernism genre labeling, but the similarities end there.
>>
>>8274240
I thought that the Navidson stuff was spoopy and good and the rest was garbage.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.