[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do libraries nowadays stoop so low as to now rent out video
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 20160713_185957.png (1 MB, 1080x1673) Image search: [Google]
20160713_185957.png
1 MB, 1080x1673
Why do libraries nowadays stoop so low as to now rent out video games? Should the library be purely entertainment-based or should it be a bastion for the great arts of the past? Something in between, or different entirely? And why has the popularity of reading books gone down as other media has sprung up? What's so alluring about playing a video game vs. reading a good, captivating book? What say you, /lit/?
>>
>>8276202
because video games are instant entertainment
couldn't tell you how many times reading has pissed me off that I don't touch that book for awhile.
at least with video games especially halo
if the storyline gets boring i can hop online and play other people. no matter how shitty I am i'll get a match I can win.
>>
>>8276202
Almost as bad as genre fiction 2bh
>>
>>8276202
Libraries provide resources for their community. Yes, the original idea was for them to provide academic resources, but it's a reasonable thought to expand on that concept. People wanted genre fiction so libraries carried genre fiction. Then they wanted movies and now they want games. Especially now that most academic sources can easily be found online, there is little incentive for libraries to focus their physical collection on academics. I can't speak for all library systems obviously, but the New York Public Library has a pretty good collection of online databases. They continue to retain their status as the layman's research hall without issue.

Plus, it's not like libraries don't continue to carry literature. I live in the South Bronx and I can easily find a copy of nearly every book in the western canon (well the most accepted versions of the canon at least) at my local libraries. You can also usually request any works you can't find in their collections.

This is a nonissue.
>>
Well libraries have had CD, DVD and VHS for probably over a decade so what's different about games?
Or didn't you know that libraries are no longer about books?
>>
The only thing I dont like about libraries are the tubs of waste who use the fucking computers for Facebook and flash games or whatever.

They need to get a fucking job.

But if the library can provide things for people to help them enjoy thier lives, a little, fine.

But the tubbies on Kongregate need to get a fucking job.
>>
>>8276202
Because libraries are in serious trouble: their lending rates and use rates have been plummeting for decades, with corresponding closures and budget slashing. They'll do anything to get people in their doors. Even hobos pretending to be job hunting so they can fap to cp on the library computers can be counted as "community use."
>>
>>8276256
>but it's a reasonable thought to expand
No it isn't. Dumbing down doesn't happen to the libraries without it also happening to the common man. It's some sort of twisted social experiment and mark my words it will have disastrous consequences.
>>
On a positive note, some of those who rents video games at the library may someday decide to pick up and read a book instead. Considering the environment they're exposed to.
>>
>>8276207
Go back to /v/.
>>
>>8277489
>Even hobos pretending to be job hunting so they can fap to cp on the library computers can be counted as "community use."

Thanks anon.
>>
File: 9u.jpg (31 KB, 564x564) Image search: [Google]
9u.jpg
31 KB, 564x564
>>8277489
This

Libraries today, on a large scale, are only really about educating children. Adults don't care to be educated anymore. The masses have as much education as they wan't, and for free, and they reject it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.