[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/kg/ - Kazuo General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: kazuo_ishiguro[1].jpg (16 KB, 400x264) Image search: [Google]
kazuo_ishiguro[1].jpg
16 KB, 400x264
>Ishiguro’s novel can be seen as an inspired secular expansion of Pascal’s tragic religious vision: “Imagine a number of men in chains, all condemned to death, some of whom are executed daily in sight of the rest; then those who are left see their own fate in that of their fellows, and regarding each other with sorrow and without hope, wait till their turn comes: this is a picture of man’s condition.
>tips eyeglasses

But seriously, I just marathoned the first chapter of The Buried Giant and I'm loving it so far. I understand it's held in middling regard but I don't see how he could top this.
Kazuo thread?
>>
>>8271499
Read Never Let Me Go and plan to get around to The Remains of The Day. Lovely prose and well-placed intricate details strewn about that hint at its conclusion while being subtle and smooth. Unfortunately a little dry but I'm sure others will disagree and it's still a solid work.
>>
please stop describing reading books as "marathoning" them
>>
>>8271499
Definitive Ishiguro Power Ranking:

>Canonical masterpiece tier
The Unconsoled - S

>Beloved classic tier
The Remains of the Day - A+
The Buried Giant - A+

>Delightful intro tier
Cellists - A
Crooner - B

>Flawed but touching tier
Never Let Me Go - B+
>Novel experimentation tier
A Pale View of Hills - B
>Traditionally proficient tier
Artist of the Floating World - B-

>Flawed experimentation tier
When We Were Orphans - C
Nocturne - C
Come Rain or Come Shine - C-
Malvern Hills - C-
>>
>>8271499

I really did not care for Never Let Me Go. it was hamfisted at worse, obvious at best.
>>
>>8272423
>he thinks the meme won't be forced

>>8272726
Have you really read all of these?
>>
>>8272726
I love you, Ishiguro-poster
>>
File: 20160604_203321.jpg (2 MB, 2880x2160) Image search: [Google]
20160604_203321.jpg
2 MB, 2880x2160
>>8273768
yea. Pic related?

>>8273780

y-you too
>>
>>8274187
Why do you have a row dedicated to what looks like some Japanese language encyclopedia and then have English translations of Japanese books in the other shelves?
>>
>>8274568
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Yong
>>
>>8274650
So you can read Chinese?
>>
>>8274686
yea
>>
>>8274697
Nice. Native speaker? If you learned it how did you go about doing it. I've heard of people who learn the written and spoken parts separately to ease the work load.
>>
>>8274738
native

no clue how learning it works since i grew up with it
>>
>>8272726
I think Remains of the Day is well above The Buried Giant and is one of the greatest works of the 20th century. Buried Giant is a truly great contemporary work though.

Never let me Go is sentimentalist genre fiction that I found terrible. I look forward to the Unconsoled.
>>
>>8274187
Why did you tape books and money to the side of your boxes?
>>
>>8274741
I have looked for Jin Yong in translation for quite a long time, and the closest I could find was a word document where the text was encoded in wingdings.

You should translate them anon. Now
>>
>>8274827
if i had to redo the list i might bump down Never Let Me Go to B- territory.
>>
>>8274834
one of my silly pipe dreams is to score a translation deal with some publisher to translate some/all of jin yong's works. i have no idea how to actually go about achieving that though.

some of them exist in english but the translations are pretty old/not superb. a lot of fan translations online.
>>
Remains of the Day read to me like something that might have been written a century ago, it's good, but I don't get the classic factor it's got.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.