[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Translation Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: Parthenon_from_west.jpg (803 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Parthenon_from_west.jpg
803 KB, 2048x1536
This thread is to ask for the best translation for foreign texts.

I'd like to ask what is the best translation for Politics by Aristotle.
>>
>>8252793

Lol
>>
What are the best translations for ANY Spanish work? Any suggestions appreciated, preferably anything by Juan Rulfo.
>>
>>8252863

For Borges, it's Norman Thomas di Giovanni. He worked with Borges personally, who was conversant in English enough to evaluate the translation work. Unfortunately there is an issue with the estate (that largely amounts to a personal conflict with widow Maria Kodama), so the work is hard to come by. It was only briefly in print if ever, but it's available online with some resourcefulness. Barring that, the original translations (by Anthony Kerrigan, James Irby, and so on) are also quite good. The work of Andrew Hurley is deeply idiosyncratic (and commissioned by Kodama to spite di Giovanni) and is to be avoided. (Sadly this is the translation in the otherwise-attractive Collected Fiction and Collected Non-Fiction.)
>>
>>8252917
Woah, fascinating! Thank you for the tips. It's amazing how much back story there are for some of these works.
>>
File: 342546234646.jpg (13 KB, 197x256) Image search: [Google]
342546234646.jpg
13 KB, 197x256
>translations
>>
Should I get a Dutch or English translation of any Kafka work?
Dutch is closer to germand but maybe the English have better translators
>>
Let's get the Russian lit discussion started.

For Tolstoy, the starting point is always a certain married couple whose work is universally praised. Aylmer and Louise Maude knew Tolstoy personally, and he vetted their work himself. Their work reads like a product of its time of course, which I think is part of its appeal.

For Dostoyevsky, the best of the earlier translators is David Magarshack, who was much more careful than Constance Garnett. For a recent choice, anything by Ignat Avsey is a safe choice. Avsey focused exclusively on Dostoyevsky and was better tuned in to his voice. Some other good picks for individual titles include: for Brothers Karamazov, Andrew MacAndrew (looser with the letter but faithful to the spirit), Ralph Matlaw's revision of Garnett, and David McDuff; for Crime and Punishment, Oliver Ready.
>>
What's a better translation of Finnegans Wake? Yanase or Miyata?
>>
>>8252950
>2016
>нe знaть pyccкий
>>
>>8252986

Знaю, нo кeк
>>
File: 51fsNJvelrL.jpg (45 KB, 324x500) Image search: [Google]
51fsNJvelrL.jpg
45 KB, 324x500
what is best translation for R I L K E?
>>
>>8253388
second this
>>
>>8252793
didn't Jowett do one? he's usually super reliable.
>>
>>8252950
I like Garnett. do I have brain damage?
>>
Using /lit/ to get the "best" translations is suspect of finding an excuse to hide behind for not reading it at all.
>>
>>8254635

I like her too.
>>
>Beowulf
Ringler

>The Iliad
Lombardo

>The Divine Comedy
Mandelbaum, Hollander

>Don Quixote
Smollett
>>
File: 1467545931883-1.jpg (48 KB, 500x713) Image search: [Google]
1467545931883-1.jpg
48 KB, 500x713
>>8254644
>Lombardo
>>
>>8254646
It's a nice translation. Better than most currently available.
>>
>>8254635

Garnett phrased things very well, but she didn't pay close attention to aspects of translation that were challenging. She often skipped things, for example if they weren't in line with Victorian sensibilities, and she even made insertions on occasion.
>>
>>8252959
genuinely curious, how do you translate fw?
>>
>>8253388
>>8254627
Not sure how close it is to the German, but Don Paterson's translation of the Sonnets to Orpheus is my favourite.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.