[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Language Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: what.jpg (62 KB, 1300x1065) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
62 KB, 1300x1065
Unsure if this goes in /his/ or /lit/.

But I want to create a Language Thread because I don't speak a very good english.

I'm having troubles on punctuation (.,;:) and parenthesis [](){}

Also, when do you use which or with:

For example:

Which programming language is the best of all?

What programming language is the best of all?

Also how do you say plural "you"?

You lot is what they taught me in school, but I've never heard it.
>>
>>8252883
Regarding the plural of you, "you" is actually also the plural. "You lot" isn't particularly common but nonetheless correct (however could be seen as condescending). The correct plural is "ye" but that's archaic (isn't used anymore).

Also, certain dialects include other variations such as "yous", which is used in the North East of England where I am from, and "y'all" which, as I am lead to believe, is mainly what American hillbillies use. Both of these examples aren't formal.
>>
>>8252883
Also, colons (:) are used when listing something e.g.

There are many things to do in Switzerland: hiking, skiing, snowboarding etc.

Or when stating a clause that directly relates to the previous clause e.g.

There is only one problem with Windows: it is very unreliable.

Semi colons (;) are slightly more complicated. They can be used to separate things in lists when the things are sentences as opposed to words e.g.

There are many things to do in Switzerland: you can go hiking in the Alps; ski down one the many slopes dotted across the country; etc.

Regarding parentheses, () are the only ones that you'll encounter and/or need in everyday use. [] And {} don't really have a specific use other than sometimes when there is a parenthesis within a parenthesis:

I have a rabbit (I bought it at the pet store [which is on First Street])
>>
>>8252972
>>8252946
Thanks lad.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.