[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. I've recently gotten into reading after years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160117_043132.jpg (18 KB, 236x326) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160117_043132.jpg
18 KB, 236x326
Hey /lit/.

I've recently gotten into reading after years of being too depressed to be able to focus on a book at all, so I'm very much a beginner and I haven't read many of the classics. So far I've read stuff like The Bell Jar and The Catcher in The Rye and have really enjoyed those two books in particular.

I would like some recommendations of decent beginner stuff which is fairly easy to read and preferably coming from the perspective of a female character. I tend to like more modern stuff based in the 50's and onwards too.
>>
>>8252682
Here are some things I like that could also be taken into consideration:

Music - Joni Mitchell, Laura Nyro, Billie Holiday, The Smiths, Alice Coltrane, Kate Bush
TV - My favourite show is Twin Peaks, quite liked Mad Men for the vibe and I guess I enjoyed Breaking Bad. Used to be really into anime stuff like NGE and Masaaki Yuasa's stuff (Tatami Galaxy for example).
Film: I don't watch movies very often but tend to enjoy Studio Ghibli films. Not so much of a weeb anymore though. I like some art films like Meshes of The Afternoon and The Hole.
>>
>>8252682
miss macintosh my darling
>>
>>8252703
>easy to read
>>
File: starting greeks.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
starting greeks.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
>>8252682
Here
>>
Read these books: Einsteins Dreams, Wind Sand and Stars, A Scanner Darkly, Solaris, The Stranger, Family Happiness and Other Stories, Child of God, Lolita and The Story of Philosophy.

Also you should watch the first season of True Detective and The Prisoner and listen to some Bowie, start by listening to all of Low then move on to Hunky Dory and Station to Station.

Oh and pick up a the first collection of Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol and give that a whirl.

You're welcome.
>>
>>8252859
thanks for all that, I've already listened to those Bowie albums, really good stuff.
>>
Watch "The City of God"

read

The Golden Ass
>>
>>8252682
Hey OP you sound like a cool person. If you liked those two books I'd recommend sticking with Salinger some more. 9 Stories and Franny and Zooey both feature female protagonists and imo are better than Catcher in the Rye.
>>
Well op, it depends. Do you have a cute male booty?
>>
>beginner

Start with the Greeks

>easy to read

Greek tragedies and comedies

>female character

Antigone, Medea
>>
File: 3tXE32B.jpg (122 KB, 483x960) Image search: [Google]
3tXE32B.jpg
122 KB, 483x960
>>8252682
Check out the wiki and the starter kit.

>decent beginner stuff which is fairly easy to read and preferably coming from the perspective of a female character.
The two best books I've read written from a female perspective are To the Lighthouse and Madame Bovary.

To the Lighthouse is modern and based on the 1900s but it's quite challenging to read.

Madame Bovary however is as straightforwad as it gets but it is set in the 1800s.

Both books are not plot driven at all, but they are enormous technical feats, each in their own way.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.