[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey losers, I've been going through a prolonged "Existential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: justalittlebit.jpg (29 KB, 540x567) Image search: [Google]
justalittlebit.jpg
29 KB, 540x567
Hey losers, I've been going through a prolonged "Existential Crisis™" about the future of literature in this world of cutting edge entertainment. I've researched the topic a little bit but all I've found is Will Self being a whiny little bitch and some poet laureate suggesting that novels shouldn't bother describing what it's like to hike in Nepal because the internet can do it for them. They're both bad arguments and the second specifically seems kind of disturbing, as the crux of the Crisis is the ease with which other mediums can communicate concrete physical media, which the poet laureate seemed to have conceded as a given. Anyone wanna link me to an argument that can allay some of this angst?
>>
>>8248145
>media
concrete physical detail was what I meant to say.
>>
>>8248145

>Anyone wanna link me to an argument that can allay some of this angst?

No, but I'll offer some of my thoughts on the matter.

The world has always and will always need storytellers. Is the world changing? Yes, it always is. Is it scary? Yes. Are our modern world's changes particularly scary? Probably, yes. Is it a bad thing? No. It's just different. You only get yourself in trouble when you refuse to adapt and refuse to need to adapt.

Personally, I see a lot of potential in these new mediums that are developing. It's just going to be different, that's all.

The real challenge is finding what medium works best for you, and then becoming the best you can. If Shakespeare were born again tomorrow, would he become a playwright or a screenwriter or a blogger or a video game writer or a virtual reality story creator or something else entirely? Plays still exist, but Shakespeare wrote for the most popular thing in his time and place. The point is, we don't know.

Like Poetry? Write poetry.
Like Theater? Write plays.
Like Novels? Write short stories and novels.
Like Movies? Write movies.
Like Vidya? Write games.
Like them all? Write.

TL;DR: Just git gud at whatever you want to git gud at. Everything else will fall in line.
>>
>>8248224
For example -- you can get good at writing sonnets. Remember, you should just first write a dozen lines on one opinion, then in the last line or two contrast it with the absolute polar opposite opinion. Everything else will fall in line.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.