[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Punctuation question. What is it called when you ask the audience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 1333106451065.gif (2 MB, 330x186) Image search: [Google]
1333106451065.gif
2 MB, 330x186
Punctuation question.

What is it called when you ask the audience a question in a piece of prose and what is the accepted punctuation structure for this kind of writing.

Examples:
> "How?" you may ask? Well, let me tell you!
> You may be thinking, "Why or how or when," but that is beside the point.
> Do not presume to ask, "punctuation is of little consequence in this day and age!"

Those examples are what I think the punctuation should look like, but I can't be sure. Any help appreciated.
>>
>>8247598
that's just a rhetorical question

first example is ok except it doesn't need the second question mark (after "ask")
second example is just missing a question mark
third example is not phrased as a question, it's just a statement
>>
>>8247604

thanks
>>
>>8247598
>you may ask
This is a statement. The "conditional element" you find in a question is in the "may," so a question mark would be redundant. The "How?" part is okay, because you're stating they may ask.

Also, some sentences take the form of a question that don't need question marks if they aren't interrogative.

For instance, "Who gives a shit," is only interrogative if you are legit asking who gives a shit. Most of time it's a statement, which is saying "No one gives a shit."

Other statements in the form of questions could be:
>"You're gay, aren't you."
(states that you're gay)
>"How dare you call me gay."/"How could you."
(accusation, not interrogative)
>"How gay are you."
(states that you're gay)
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.