[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did he get right, and wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Beyond Memes.jpg (46 KB, 400x619) Image search: [Google]
Beyond Memes.jpg
46 KB, 400x619
What did he get right, and wrong?
>>
>>8244777
Only thing he got was syphilis.
>>
>>8244777
The things he got right were the right-wing stuff.
The things he got wrong were the left-wing stuff.
>>
>>8244777

He pretty much predicted (if not inspired) so-called rehabilitative justice - almost word for word - which is pretty much my biggest gripe with him.

>we should not shrink from drawing its consequences and treating the criminal as an insane person: above all not with haughty mercy, but with the physician's good sense and good will. A change of air, different company, temporary disappearance, perhaps being alone and having a new occupation, are what he needs.

>one should wipe pangs of conscience from his soul as some uncleanliness and give him pointers as to how he might balance and outbid the harm he may have done to one person by a good turn to another, or perhaps to society as a whole.

>And above all anonymity or a new name and frequent change of place, so that the irreproachability of his reputation and his future be endangered as little as possible

Nietzsche does not consider, or perhaps does not care, about those crimes for which there is obviously no recompense.
>>
>>8244782

False.
>>
>>8244777

My own insight:

>The self-professed 'Good European' was German, all too German™

Although lately I've been revising this, upon concluding that the trouble with Nietzsche is that he had far less 'German Spirit' than French 'esprit'.

Indeed, in passing he offers Hegel some praise for his esprit - although he notes that this esprit was wrapped up in a very 'German Spirit' - which resulted in the nonsense that is Hegelianism.

This explains why Nietzsche's most apparent successors are French.
>>
>>8244857
Nietzsche would have been very pleased to hear you say he had more French esprit than German Geist.

Don't forget how much influence the German materialists had on him.
>>
>>8244777
The mustache
>>
>>8244871

>Don't forget how much influence the German materialists had on him.

It depends what you mean by 'materialists'. Nietzsche is apparently one of the first to question Positivism, yet in 'The Dawn', he critiques pretty much every notable German (Goethe, Schopenhauer, etc) for having in some way resisted the sheer empiricism that was borne out of the enlightenment. As he puts it:

>The cult of feeling was erected in place of the cult of reason
>>
>>8244823

You shrunk from drawing the consequences, bro.
>>
>>8244879

I remember reading that it used to scare women.

He also had a habit of proposing to women without any real precedent, which is a bit amusing until you consider how lonely his existence apparently was.
>>
>>8244951
autistic fag
he was just depressed thats what nihilism is all about
>le sad mustache man XD
Nietzche is the most cringe philosopher ever
>>
File: HomerLaugh.gif (168 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
HomerLaugh.gif
168 KB, 375x375
>>8244786
>Still believing in the polarized politics meme
>>
>>8244777
>You're going to women? Don't forget your whip!
That's the only thing he got right.
>>
>>8244981
Basically, everything he wrote about women was right.
>>
>>8244951
Evidence says he only proposed to Salome, and was thankful she rejected him. The guy had weird psychological issues for sure but that's not a mark against his obvious brilliance in critical thinking.

>>8244981
>nearly 150 years later people are still taking that quote out of context

Anyways, Nietzsche's main contributions are the genealogical method, which through Foucault is the absolute king in the social sciences nowadays. Foucault has been the most cited author in social science journals for the past few years and the other big post-structuralists usually stack the top 5, Marx and Nietzsche trade 9th/10th back and forth annually. That and his psychological analysis method which looked towards dreams as a root of the metaphysical, something which Freud spun off into an entire body of work. Freud himself said that he never said anything that Nietzsche hadn't implied.

I think he was also a fine social critic and his establishment of the relationship between Christianity and nihilism was groundbreaking. Some of his commentaries on geopolitics were also kind of interesting, he flat out says that Germany is going to end up locked in a war for 'control of the globe' in the coming century and that it would lose if it could not forge alliances with the Russians and the Jews. Germany proceeded to do exactly the opposite of what he said and got its ass pushed in by, of course, the Russians and Jews.

The final chapter of Ecce Homo, Why I am a Destiny, read after reading his work and knowing his life as well as knowing the 20th century and how it all played out, is one of the most powerful pieces of prophecy I have ever read 2bh. How horrible it must have been to be among the first to draw out the consequences of the death of God and know precisely what was coming, cataclysmic wars, and to be completely ignored by everyone.
>>
>>8244991
As long as you're not implying that Nietzsche was a misogynist that's not an incorrect statement, because Nietzsche did not hate women and roundly mocked Schopenhauer's stance on women, alongside his stance on Hegel as two points where he was just being stupid and belligerent while the rest of his life-denying philosophy was at least quite well refined and constructed.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.