[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any stories about a student who is hated by their teacher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: dorothy.jpg (29 KB, 354x392) Image search: [Google]
dorothy.jpg
29 KB, 354x392
Are there any stories about a student who is hated by their teacher and the teacher uses their power against the student?

I'm not interested in a silly plot where a teacher hates the student's mom for rejecting him and is taking it out on the student, or something similar.

I'm talking about a visceral personal difference that brings out the worst in a teacher.

Maybe I should write such a story...

I've had two teachers like that.
>>
Any coming-of-age novel ever
>>
Whiplash
>>
"Settle down, settle down," Ms. Shell says as she walks into the classroom. I glance around and see my fellow classmates doing the same. Barely anyone had been talking.

"So, let's get started. Did anyone not read the assignment?" Nobody raises their hand. "Good. Then we'll get right into it. First of all, why do you think the author begins the story with a dream? Yes, Paul?"

"I think it's because a dream is the easiest way for a magical being, such as the goddess in the story, to communicate."

"Well, no, that's not exactly right. It's a reference to when God sent an angel to tell Mary she would bear his Son. This, also, supposedly happened in a dream."

They're both wrong, I think. Paul's closer though. I did it because people can have memories in dreams that they don't really have in real life. I even say that in the story! How could they get it wrong...?

"And speaking of Mary, this, I think, is what the goddess herself is based on as well. She's clearly a caring, motherly figure. That's why she is willing to sacrifice herself for the good of the protagonist. Yes, Rachel?"

"I didn't see it that way. I thought the goddess's relationship with the protagonist was more romantic than familial."

Thank you! I think. At least SOMEONE gets it!

"Come on, Rachel, if you were a follower of a pagan goddess, would you want a romantic relationship with her?" Ms. Shell asks sarcastically.

But she's right! I scream in my head. That's exactly what I was going for!

"Well, I'm straight, so not really...." The class chuckles at Rachel's response. Ms. Shell ignores it and keeps going.

"Now, finally, one of the most obvious symbols in this story are the bible verses the protagonist sees on his watch. Can anyone guess which verses these are referencing?"

Nobody speaks, not that Ms. Shell gives them time to anyway.

"All of the quotes are from the First Book of Samuel. The first one, 22:20, involves someone named Abiathar running away to join David. The protagonist sees this while he's running to join his goddess.

The second one, 24:15, is about David showing mercy to Saul, like how the goddess is merciful towards the protagonist despite him not recognizing her.

The last one, 26:28, isn't actually a real verse. The 26th chapter in the First Book of Samuel only has 27 verses. This indicates the unknown, emphasizing the uncertainty of the goddess and protagonist's futures."

Okay, screw it. I put my hand up.
>>
>>8230887
"Yes, Drake?"

"Sorry, but that's wrong. None of the verses are from the Book of Samuel. The first quote is from Exodus, the second is from Joshua, and the last is the Gospel according to Matthew. The first two are about punishments for those who worship other gods, and the last one is about forgiveness.

This is because the goddess isn't a real goddess, she's just a being of immense magical power. But for centuries people have worshiped her as a goddess, right up to the protagonist, and the last quote is about him and all his predecessors being forgiven for their mistake, and about the goddess's opportunity to repent for allowing herself to be worshiped."

"Well, that's an interesting interpretation, but I'm pretty sure the author meant the First Book of Samuel," Ms. Shell says with an annoyed expression.

"Then why does it say he meant Exodus, Joshua, and Matthew in the Forward?"

Ms. Shell looks stunned. She quickly picks up her copy of the book and flips it open. I watch with satisfaction as her eyes find the part about the bible quotes. She sits there silently for a few moments before collecting herself.

"Well. It looks like you were right. Okay then, let's move on to the next assignment. I want you all to write two reviews of the story, one positive and one negative. And Drake? Please stay after class for a few minutes today."

She says this mere seconds before the bell rings. Great.

"Yes, Ms. Shell?" I ask after the rest of the class has left.

"While I'm glad you were interested enough to read the Forward of the book, I'd like you to refrain from contradicting me in class again. I've been an English teacher a long time, so I know what authors intend better than you. I'm going to have to dock some points off your grade for that."

"Excuse me?"

"It's only a few points. If you work hard you won't have to worry about failing."

"Wait, you're docking points because I was right? And it's enough to make me fail?"

"Only if you continue to perform poorly in my class."

That's it. I've had enough of her bullshit.

"You do realize I wrote the book, right?"

"Yeah, right, and I'm the Queen of England," she scoffs.

"Drake Roger Arnold Francis O'Reilly. That's my full name. My initials are DRAFO, which is also my pen name. How many people do you know with those initials?"

"Come on Drake, that's just ridicu--"

"I'm working on another one. I can tell you everything it's about before it gets published. A guy gets trapped in his desktop background, and he has to go through each of the icons on the top row of his desktop before he can escape. It should be out by the end of the month. But don't worry. I still have time to put in a note about how my English teacher influenced my writing career by failing me because I was smarter than her."

I turn on my heel and storm out of the room. It's been a long time since I was this angry. If she really tries to fail me I'll make sure she pays for it. I am DONE putting up with her.
>>
>>8230880
>>
Suffer the Little Children by Stephen King
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.