[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one write a novel set in a dystopian future that's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (56 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
56 KB, 1024x576
How does one write a novel set in a dystopian future that's more the stuff on the left and less the steaming pile of dogshit on the right?
>>
>>8219867
You can't. It'll always be the stuff on the right now. The low hanging fruit has all been picked, and if you wrote a book like those on the left now, in this day and age, it would be seen as extremely naive.
>>
>>8219867
> research oppressive political regimes
> read classic dystopian novels to see how the concepts have been expressed
> research political concerns of our time (i.e. UK leaving the European Union, Donald Trump, ISIS, etc).
> create a protagonist distinctive from other dystopian novels but not so distinctive that the reader can't self-insert themselves into the protagonist's position
> conflict is key: sew distrust with authority for the protagonist that gradually builds
> give the protagonist a pet dog. bitches love dogs.
>>
>>8219867
The Road's pretty good.
>>
>>8219877
>research political concerns of our time (i.e. UK leaving the European Union, Donald Trump, ISIS, etc)
This.
A well written dystopia where the Caliphate reigns over Europe would probably sell pretty good. Even though it is a pretty obvious theme.
Do mask it slightly though, don't use existing political figures.
>>
>>8219876
>>8219877
>>8219897
I've asked my question poorly.

The difference between the two sets are obvious: 1984 and Brave New World are well-developing hypothetical dystopias based in sincere political, social, and economic concerns. The Hunger Games and Divergent are just "lol the world is bad."

My issue with the left vis-a-vis my own writing is that at the end of the day, they're narratives existing entirely to show us the setting. The characters for the most part are just generic everyman stand-ins designed entirely just to show us the details of the setting the author feels we need to see. They, as people, don't really matter.

What I want to write is a novel set in a dystopian future that isn't about the dystopia nearly as much as it is about the experiences of the characters and their reflection of human nature. I have no interest in getting terribly political.
>>
>>8219897

Houllebecq did the Islamic thing already. Next one would have to be neoliberal superstate bureaucracies like the EU crushing the natural expression of the common man via degenerate entertainment. A 1984 political situation using BNW methods.
>>
>>8219917
But you still would need to research political concerns and oppressive regimes if you wanted to have a protagonist that was fully-developed and reacted with authenticity to the dystopian world around him.

I'd also suggest interviewing people who express political concerns and how they would handle things if, for example, Trump became president, or if the UK's pound sterling went further in decline, or maybe people who migrated from Syria. That would help in understanding how your character could react and reflect human nature in dystopian times.
>>
>>8219956
That's just it -I don't want my protagonist to react to the dystopian world around him. Sure, he will, because there are no reactions that aren't ultimately reactions to the world around him. But I don't want them to be his conscious motivation. If I'm trying to make any cryptic warning about our potential dystopian future at all, it's that when the dystopia comes, no one will realize it and very few will even be seriously bothered it.

I get enough of "If Trump's elected, I'm going to Canada!" on Facebook. Which harkens back to my what I just said -if Trump really is elected, none of those fuckers are going to Canada. They're not going to do a damn thing about it but go on with their lives.

I already have my political scaffolding for my dystopian future. What I really need is the ability to set my narrative in this world without making it about this world, the ability to make it all background noise without making it feel hamfisted and thoughtless like some shitty YA novel.
>>
>>8219986
So, in essence you want to write that dystopias are less shit than they're made out to be?
Then you won't be getting anything like the right side of the chart. Just let your MC react apathatically to every shit you as a writer throw at him and carry on with his marginal life
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.