[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prosody
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: illmatic.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
illmatic.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
How much importance do you lend the study of poetic meter?
I am in two minds: For sculpting a tone or particular rhythm you deem pertinent to what's being said it is probably important to be knowledgeable on the subject however if you are just studying a poem deep knowledge of prosody provides little more than the ability to lend articulation to the general feeling of what a poem or otherwise is impressing on you and while this is useful I see it as providing few points that are interesting or convincing enough to elicit more than a 'if you say so'.
I have made at least one diverting find while practicing, it was when I was looking at the meter of some hip hop.
'When I was 12, I went to hell for snuffing Jesus'
x u / u x / x u / u x / u x / u x / x
This beat, the hyperbeat, is the 13th beat like Judas was the 13th man to sit at the last supper and like a hyperbeat he is the odd one out. I can hear it now: if you say so.
>>
>it's a /lit/ pretends the uneducated street thugs of Harlem are high IQ poetic geniuses episode

Saged. If you want poetry, read poetry.
>>
>>8214325
>it's an anon pretends to know what the fuck he's talking about comment

Honestly embarrassing. When I wrote 'I can hear it now: if you say so' it was very clearly an allusion to when I wrote it some two whole sentences before that in reference to the weakness of points derived from metrical analysis. It has absolutely nothing to do with what I think any rapper it just so happened that I was analysing a poem by Nas when I came up with a slightly more diverting than usual supposition.
If you'd care to take your cretinous assumptions and distinct lack of reading comprehension and kindly fuck off out of my thread about prosody, you can read your patrician poetry in peace and I can continue to read whatever the fuck I like.
>>
>>8214325
>implying Illmatic isn't a poetic masterpiece
>>
>>8214325
>talking shit about Illmatic

LEL
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.