[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you needed to describe poetically your native language, how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
If you needed to describe poetically your native language, how would you do it? If you wanted to express your love for your native idiom, how would you say it?

Also, do you guys know any poems or inspired passages of writers speaking about their own native language?

I was thinking, for example, how one would describe Italian or Latin in a poetic and metaphorical way.
>>
>>8203838
these quotes by camille paglia on the subject of the english language come to mind:

“What fascinated me about English was what I later recognized as its hybrid etymology: blunt Anglo-Saxon concreteness, sleek Norman French urbanity, and polysyllabic Greco-Roman abstraction. The clash of these elements, as competitive as Italian dialects, is invigorating, richly entertaining, and often funny, as it is to Shakespeare, who gets tremendous effects out of their interplay. The dazzling multiplicity of sounds and word choices in English makes it brilliantly suited to be a language of poetry."

"The English language was created by poets, a five-hundred year enterprise of emotion and metaphor, the richest dialogue in world literature."
>>
>>8203838

I wrote this about Brazilian Portuguese some days ago:

Portuguese, a joyful and fleet-footed
Idiom, where the words are dancing girls,
Clapping their hands and entwining their bodies
In a sunny morning, under skies of wheat:
A language bounces like the conversation of birds
>>
>>8204085
>A language bounces

A language that bounces
>>
>>8203838
In Moscow there was an exhibit featuring art of one Elena, who in her art protested Lego. She said that building blocks like those kill a child's creativity, the effortlessness of it is toxic to development, streamlined structures hinder his contact with the real world. Such sentiment could only be produced in a city where everyone speaks Russian.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.