[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a good fantasy book? Also how good is this(Kinkiller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: Kingkiller-Chronicles-1024x669.jpg (121 KB, 1024x669) Image search: [Google]
Kingkiller-Chronicles-1024x669.jpg
121 KB, 1024x669
What makes a good fantasy book?

Also how good is this(Kinkiller Chronicles)?
>>
l have no idea what makes a good fantasy book, but l did read Kingkiller Chronicles and it's by far my favourite fantasy book, read it, you won't regret it. The first book had me hooked up for like 8 hours straight, no joke

tfw 3rd book never ever
also auri best grill
>>
>>8197762
A friend hyped me up when he said he read the 2nd book in 2 days because it was that good.

>l have no idea what makes a good fantasy book

Me neither, which is weird because i enjoy reading fantasy a lot, even think of writing one myself, but never really have the willpower to do it.
>>
>>8197732
>What makes a good fantasy book?
First and foremost, worldbuilding. The whole point of fantasy is that it takes place in an alternate world where cool shit can happen that wouldn't in realistic novels. If your alternate world is uninteresting, or outright silly, or too shallow, or tries too hard (e.g. you make up a bajillion unnecessary words to the point where I can't immerse myself because I need a dictionary to read your shit) or any other glaring flaws in the universe you made, your book failed as a fantasy novel.
>>
KCC thread?

Who /Elodin/ here?
>>
>>8197732
Definitely worldbuilding. The main draw of fantasy is being transported into an alternative universe where fantastical things happen, and without a properly defined world to base it on, it becomes a dull read. Establish the rules, history, elements and societies.
>>
>>8197732
Worldbuilding is a big part of the process but for me it's the magic system and the intrigue to know more about magic in the world of Temerant (KingKiller Chronicles universe) which i guess falls under worldbuilding. There's also the intrigue behind the characters. Patrick Rothfuss is a genius when it comes to intricate and interesting character personalities such as Auri and Elodin.
>>
File: 1461199922253.png (242 KB, 422x316) Image search: [Google]
1461199922253.png
242 KB, 422x316
Isn't kingkiller the series with the blatant mary sue protagonist that lost his virginity to a sex goddess? Who then told him he was the best she ever had? A virgin, to a literal goddess of fucking?
>>
>>8198300
could you like not spoil stuff?
>>
>>8198300
Maybe his inocency and discover of the sexuality interest to that godslut.
[Spoiler]Any way she was going to murder him, but he say stuff so that saved him[/spoiler]
>>
File: KKC.jpg (62 KB, 308x500) Image search: [Google]
KKC.jpg
62 KB, 308x500
>>8197732
It's a fun read for sure. It gets hated on a lot here, and I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't been shat all over yet.
Anyways, KKC is a quick read because the prose is very simple and easy to get through. Rothfuss' world building is honestly only okay at best, but he's great at creating some very intriguing and unique characters. You won't be disappointed with it as an entry level fantasy. It's probably one of my favorites, though I can certainly recognize its flaws.
>>
I think people here are giving too much credence to worldbuilding. Yes, it's essential, but it should never be the main point. Too many fantasy writers use worldbuilding to mask their shitty plot, characterization, or narrative. It's like they're throwing glitter at your face hoping to distract you from the steaming dump they just took all over you. A good fantasy book will have good worldbuilding, but a great fantasy book will have that and decent writing.

Sorry if I sound bitter, I love the genre, but truly some of it will make you feel like you're being shit on.
>>
Naming would have been pretty cool if the Rothfuss wasn't such a wanker.
This series really could have been great, but, there's no way Kvothe ends up being a fraud.
>>
File: 1405008800358.gif (2 MB, 320x272) Image search: [Google]
1405008800358.gif
2 MB, 320x272
>>8198325
>these are the anons in /sffg/ threads
>>
>>8198369
that's one of my deepest fears about the story, that it's just legends and not actually what happened
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.