[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Rate the last five books you read out of 5 stars. Write
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: mark-rothko11.jpg (2 MB, 1742x2332) Image search: [Google]
mark-rothko11.jpg
2 MB, 1742x2332
ITT: Rate the last five books you read out of 5 stars. Write a Nabokov style review for your highest and lowest rated books.

The Solitudes: 3/5
Hoelderlin, selected poems: 5/5
Child-soul: 3/5
F: 2/5
Notes to Literature: 4/5

F. Dislike it. Middling and insincere. A cheap attempt to accomplish what Gaddis already has, but without wit or erudition. Aborts rather than births the irony so necessary to its criticisms.

Hoelderlin. Love it. Divine and lofty. Satanic and base. A soul that understands what poetry can become when it makes hope itself bleak. A trailblazer who did not need to be recognized in order to permanently change the shape of verse.
>>
File: 1427730968615.png (246 KB, 1480x690) Image search: [Google]
1427730968615.png
246 KB, 1480x690
>>
>>8184885
Maupassant - Pierre et Jean: 2/5
Andersch - Sansibar oder der letzte Grund: 4/5
Hines - A Kestrel for a Knave: 1/5
Dazai - No Longer Human: 3/5
Chuang Tzu (?) - The Book of Chuang Tzu: 4/5

>>8184888
please no, corn father
>>
>>8184893
forgot the review

A Kestrel for a Knave: Okay as a story, not much merit to it as literature. I imagine it would make fpr a decent-ish film, though I haven't seen the film. I wouldn't necessarily call it "bad", just not particularly good.

Sansibar oder der letzte Grund: Unfortunate that this one isn't translated/read in English circles, it's a fantastic story and told very well imo. Nothing world moving and I wouldn't put it on any list of most important literature, but it was pretty great nonetheless.
>>
Thousand Cranes 2/5*
The Pendragon Legend 5/5*
Contempt 3.5/5*
H is for Hawk 3.5/5*
Nana 5/5*

Kawabata. I do not know how to write a review like Nabokov, but I found both his prose (translated to English) and his subject equally repulsive.

Nana handled a similar topic (bitches and whores) rather well, heralding the ruination, fall and decandence of a generation almost on a global scale, through the life of the one individual in the midst of it.
Pendragon Legend is a Hungarian gothic mystery which is what you'd get if you put Scooby-Doo, E. A. Poe and an impeccable British gentleman's flawless manners in a blender.
>>
>>8184931
>disliking kawabata

sure is pleb in here
>>
>>8184888
please no, corn father
>>
>>8184888
please no, corn father
>>
>>8184931
>rating out of 5
>rounds to halves
You fucking dimwit
>>
Philip K. Dick - Now wait for last year 3/5
Lafcadio Hearn - Japanese Ghost Stories 3/5
Stanislaw Lem - Pilot Pirx 4/5
Albert Camus - The Plague 3/5
Ernest Hemingway - Snows of Kilimanjaro and other stories 3/5
>>
>>8184888
please no, corn father
>>
>>8184938
I didn't get Snow Country. People and everything was so weird that I had trouble understanding the fucking thing. No way people act and talk like that. Bizarre.
>>
Ulysses 3/5
Their Eyes Were Watching God 3/5
The Turn of the Screw 2/5
The Old Man and the Sea 4/5
Bartleby the Scrivener 3/5

Turn of the Screw wasn't bad necessarily but it's gimmick seemed kind of trite and the story was a bit boring overall. Very nice prose though.

The Old Man and the Sea was pretty great though. The story reflected the sparse style of the prose and stripped away everything unnecessary. It was nice to read.
>>
>>8184888
please no, corn father
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.