[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys think it's cheating to listen to books on tape?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 1462755880736.jpg (51 KB, 468x484) Image search: [Google]
1462755880736.jpg
51 KB, 468x484
Do you guys think it's cheating to listen to books on tape? I find that there's a night and day difference for me between listening to books on tape and reading something. I feel like I have to train myself to get to the level feeling like I'm just listening to someone talk when I'm reading it on a page.

I'm about to listen to the history of western philosophy by Bertrand Russel on a couple hours long car ride, ask me anything. I also have prepared The Journal of Albion Moonlight, and The Republic by Plato.
>>
File: 021.jpg (66 KB, 600x543) Image search: [Google]
021.jpg
66 KB, 600x543
>cheating
>>
I listen to about 20ish hours of audiobooks/lectures/podcasts a week at work. I find the experience to be a bit different but not necessarily worse. Over time you develop the concentration for your mind not to wander as you listen to them but since you can never rearead, check refernces, leave time to think about it, I tend to listen to either books that aren't too complicated or books I doubt are going to be very great but I want to experience them to make sure.
>>
>>8177811
I'm the opposite. I listen to talk shows all the time, and I even play them in the background when I am doing other low maintenance things and I still feel satisfied with how much I've absorbed. I think I just have a very keen ear. On the other hand, when I try to read a book, I find myself becoming enormously distracted, it's almost a fucking joke. I can barely read a single paragraph, it doesn't feel like the ease and nature of listening to an audiobook. Worse yet, I can read articles online and comment posts like the ones on this website, probably because it's just easier to read in short bursts than it is to read long stuff.
>>
File: Nietzsche 2.jpg (535 KB, 950x715) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche 2.jpg
535 KB, 950x715
audiobooks are for plebs
>>
>>8177337
For context, I can't listen to music as background noise. I mean, I can; but I don't get anything out of it. To actually listen to a song or an album, I need to focus completely on the sound.
That being said, I've tried to listen to audiobooks, but I've always felt like I should just read the book on my own at that point.
I'm not dismissing the format, I'm just saying it's not for me.
>>
>>8177337
I don't get why it would be called cheating.... personally I can't really do audio books I just can't pay attention but reading I can get balls deep into the story and ignore everything around me I think noise is naturally something I can't focus on.... that and I can only hear out of one ear
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.