[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is really possible to write something really good without having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: alain delone 2.gif (112 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
alain delone 2.gif
112 KB, 150x150
Is really possible to write something really good without having lived those feelings.

I mean, someone whose parents were good and lovable can write a novel about evil and tough parents? Someone who never went to war, can write something really good being a filthy, idle neet?
>>
>>8167015
Nope its impossible, Tolkien was a wizard
>>
>>8167039
Well, in the case of fantasy literature, everything it creates comes from a metaphor or any literary figure which requires of something real

So there's my question again, refering to that "something real"
>>
>>8167015
How do you even recognize the possibility that it may be necessary to live through something before you write a story about it, and then feel the need to try to make the case that it's not true?

Obviously it's necessary. All art is imitation, so your choice is simply to either imitate life or imitate other art, and you're constantly making that choice whether you're aware of it or not.
And obviously if your art is imitating other art then you're doing an imitation of an imitation (of an imitation), so you're basically either fucked if you're unaware of it, or you can make it into a meme work of art if you are aware of it. Though arguably in both cases you suck.
>>
>>8167015

Nope its impossible, Pearl S. Buck was Chinese
>>
>>8167124

Jesus christ, this is a bad refutation, the Tolkien one was more tricky, but this is just bad
>>
>>8167015
you work from what you do have.

That kid who shit in your lunchbox and fucked your sister in the ass -- take that feeling of him and boom you have enough to write evil parents
>>
You can write anything you want. In the first example, it would be ironic.

If the intent is to be dramatic and wow us with pretended knowledge, I don't know if that is a healthy pursuit. It may even be a big turn-off, unfortunately.

Of course, if you want to pursue fantasy, there's people who've been successful with that.

It might be a question of whether fantasy or reality interests you more, and also if you can artfully play the game of knowing when you and how you can cross the line in your writing from drama to comedy, back and forth. It may be that a lot of heralded writings successfully, if not brilliantly, straddle both.
>>
>>8167015
>The Red Badge of Courage
>>
Nope it's impossible, Kafka was a bug
>>
>>8168351

Again, a metaphor of a real life situation involving anxiety with bureaucracy
>>
Yes you can.

Personally I've never been in a romantic relationship however I am making a steady $300 a month from my self-published romance/erotica. It depends on how good you are at pretending.

Have I ever kissed a beautiful girl under a full moon? No.

Can I write a scene in which this happens and describe it so well that dozens of lonely housewives and teens will pay to read about it? Sure.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.