[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any philosophers who argue that the thing to strive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1465527139819.jpg (2 MB, 5103x3176) Image search: [Google]
1465527139819.jpg
2 MB, 5103x3176
Are there any philosophers who argue that the thing to strive for is love/a loving nature and go into detail on their ideas of how to do this. I feel like love (not just romantic) is the only thing worth staying alive and making an effort for but I don't know how to go about it
>>
>>8165161
JC
>>
>>8165161
Epicurus, kinda.
Erich Fromm also kindasorta.
Some forms of Christian ideas, I guess.
Philosophical/secular Buddhism also, but it's more like a natural result.

Many philosophers were of the opinion. But there weren't a whole lot who managed to work it into their theories. Probably because psychology and especially cognitive-emotional psychology are just about not taking off. Meaning that we simply didn't really understand what we meant by it before. Like intelligence. Everybody kinda-sorta knows what it meant, but nobody can agree on a usable definition.
>>
File: Untitled.png (625 KB, 1152x800) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
625 KB, 1152x800
sorry if it is a little hard to read
>>
File: safe_image.php_.jpg (71 KB, 720x1189) Image search: [Google]
safe_image.php_.jpg
71 KB, 720x1189
>love reals
top spookey
>>
In Either/Or, Kierkegaard's personas both agree that the aim of life is love (and Wilhelm thinks it's best accomplished through marriage)
>>
Idea of "ren" in Confucianism?

Most religions have some sort of human compassion involved....
>>
>>8165774
Any favourites here?
>>
>>8165774
Why is your East west and your West east?
>>
>>8165779
Life without love is life without life.
>>
Plato's Symposium, then end the thread.
>>
>>8165861
yeah i would start with rumi then mozi and go on from dante then to augustine, then solovyov then kirekegaard then the rest however you like
>>
>>8165921

I dunno.
I'm a divorced man and I realized what a spook it is to expect happiness from that.

Sure, I might be biased. But where I am now is at a place where I actually don't see myself really falling in love ever again. And it doesn't really weigh down on me. I find it pretty odd actually. All I feel is sexual attraction, but not 'love'.
I think friends and family, yeah that I'll need. But 'love'? No clue anymore.
>>
>>8165861

Works of Love and The Idiot are both incredible.
>>
>>8166105
Is that just the Seducer's Diary or more essays? What are they focusing on? The asethetic?
>>
>>8165161
Sure, Jesus. And Dostoyevski.
>>
This is more or less the basis of Christian ethics, so anything related to Christianity, either philosophically, literarily, or theologically, will have some variation on that.
So basically any of the suggestions already posted in the thread.

>>8166096
>I think friends and family, yeah that I'll need
that is love
the OP said not just romantic love.
>>
>>8165774
>no what we talk about when we talk about love

literally the first book that came to mind
>>
>>8165161
>"are there any philosophers who will confirm my worldview for me?"
>>
>>8166788
great book, dubs don't lie.
>>
Plato's Symposium is arguably the best of the dialogues, and it's about love. It's a beautiful read, and I thinks it's exactly what you're looking for OP.
>>
>>8165774
>Augustine
>East
Nigga, what?
>>
>>8165161
I'm reading The Seducer's Diary by Kierkegaard right now (although in dutch translation). It is one of the best books about love you will ever read. Maybe not in the practical sense, but he goes on and on about the aesthetics of love.
>>
>>8165161
Ficino.
>>
>>8166839
>"are there any philosophers that can help me explore and understand what i think"
>>
>>8166897

A lot of Plotino's work is based on this dialogue, also.
>>
>>8165898
>I'm "North is Up" normative
wow
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.