[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lovecraft Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
Recently finished reading The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft, and wondered what /lit's opinion on Lovecraft is, and your favourite of Lovecraft's novellas
>>
>>8162267
My opinion is unspeakable and cannot be expressed in words.
>>
Why don't you start telling us your opinions and favorite work so we can have a discussion?
>>
>>8162279
Ok, well I personally I enjoyed The Doom that came to Sarnath and Beyond the Wall of Sleep the most, perhaps quite controversially. Despite some of the stories being a little hard to follow, it was genuinely interesting to see Lovecraft's synthesis of his xenophobic tenancies with the disgusting creatures he describes. My only gripe is that,as previously mentioned, it seems like a bit of a cop out to just say that whatever he was trying to describe was indescribable and the narrative of a piss scared academic in fear for his life got a bit old after 60 something stories.
>>
>>8162267
Is that edition good or is it just a meme? Looks a bit garish, but also kinda cool...
>>
>>8162328
I think it's a fine edition. The only real problem I had with it is that Lovecraft's stories were meant to be read as short stories in a monthly magazine, not compiled together, so I tended to get a bit burnt out after too many similar stories. Other than that, I'd say it's worth the money.
>>
>>8162317
Beyond the Wall Of Sleep is top tier
>>
It's been a while since I've read him but I'm still going through that exact edition of the book, albeit in a semi random order. I've been thoroughly enjoying his stories in which cats play a large role: The Rats in the Walls and The Cats of Ulthar were both great stories in my opinion. Very little in the way or "unspeakable horrors" (at least until the end of Walls) and I felt that they both gave off that legitimately creepy vibe that one expects of lovecraft. When he actually puts his mind to describing something I find it quite breathtaking. The imagery of the cats circling the cat hating house in Ulthar was burned into my mind for a good few days, and I can still picture it. If I was a draw fag I would draw it, and if I was dumb rich I would have commissioned a painting on the spot.
>>
>>8162267
Love craft is rated perfectly. Not overrated, not underrated.
>>
>>8162412
Dagon does not care about your 3 paragraphs worth of scripture, all he wants is your submission
>>
>>8162447
oh mother hydra will summit to father dagon all right hehe
>>
File: Azathoth.jpg (546 KB, 1024x1468) Image search: [Google]
Azathoth.jpg
546 KB, 1024x1468
when Azathoth awakes he will blink us from existence and we will be no more, once again there will only be Azathoth
>>
File: CAPTAIN AMERICA HYDRA.jpg (102 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
CAPTAIN AMERICA HYDRA.jpg
102 KB, 800x533
>>8162694
Reference within a reference... within another reference!
>>
>>8162697
Can't wait really
>>
I have literally everything ever published by him (including something he wrote in elementary school or something) on my Kindl.
I'll by a proper book later on.

But tbqh, I really enjoy the audio narrations of his stories.
They give you that perfect old timey "horror radio show" feel.
So you can enjoy it twice.
>>
I read his complete works at age 16, was tired of seeing references to it by age 18.
>Why vote for the lesser evil?
Fuck off already.
>>
>>8162772
Yeah, the references get a bit much.
I guess building a fictional mythos/universe will always invite nerdish fandom.
>>
>>8162352

The B&N edition has a lot of typos.
>>
>>8162328
I have some issues with this edition. The outside of the slipcase is definitely a bit garish, but the spine looks alright when it's on your shelf. The copy I purchased from Chapters had a piece of paper glued to the back with the barcode and author blurbs, and it looks a lot better when that is removed.

My main issue is that it's a pretty large volume, and the quality is pretty low. It has a glued binding, and the text block on my edition has already sagged considerably after a year. The paper stock is a little flimsy and it's not on archival quality paper, so don't expect the book to last, even just sitting on your shelf.

Franklin Library and the Folio Society both have nicer past editions that you can find on the used market for less than this edition costs new.
>>
>>8162267
i have that exact book, read 90 percent of it, the only regret being charles dexter ward.

Alchemist, at the Mountains of Madness, Azathoth, Beast in the Cave, Call of Cthulhu, Celephaïs, Colour out of Space, Dagon, Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, Dreams in the Witch House, Dunwich Horror, Herbert West Reanimator, History of the Necronomicon, Horror at Red Hook, Haunter of the Dark, Hypnos, Ibid, Music of Erich Zann, Other Gods, Outsider, Pickman’s Model, Picture in the House, Quest of Iranon, Rats in the Walls, Shadow out of Time, Shadow over Innsmouth, Silver Key, Temple, Tomb, Under the Pyramids, Whisperer in Darkness
>>
>>8162278
The horror could not be described in words but I'll give it a try.
>>
>>8162317
>>8162352
I agree, and I handled this by reading a chunk in between other books when I wasn't feeling it anymore.

This is usually a pretty good bet for "collected works" anthologies.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.